HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   primitive rifle choice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372391-primitive-rifle-choice.html)

zaboo 09-12-2012 02:12 PM

primitive rifle choice

we can use break action 35 cal rifles now im thinking a cva or handi rifle which is more accurate and i dont want to spend the money on a tc for 2 weeks

Savage Sniper 09-12-2012 02:46 PM

absolutely nothing wrong with a handi rifle. there are better guns out there ,but for the money, they are hard to beat.

Tundra10 09-12-2012 09:03 PM

That's primitive?

Mojotex 09-15-2012 06:29 PM

I suspect that you have searched the net for info .... but here goes anyway. Unless you have a custom barrel made, then the TC, CVA, NEF, H&R , etc. standard chamberings that are 35 cal. or larger are limited to a handful .... if I recall correctly, which at my age is a question, the 44 Mag., 45/70 Gov., 444 Marlin and 375 H&H are about it.

Of these I have first hand experience in center fired rifles chambered for the 44 Mag., 45/70 and 444.

I have a Marlin "Guide" in 444 Marlin and love it. But a wiser choice of these 4 cartridges in my opinion is the 45/70 Gov. The 44 Mag.'s effective range is just too limited in my book. The 35 H&H is way beyond the pall for deer sized game, and I can only imagine the recoil ! Factory ammo for the 45/70 is much easier to find than the 444 Marlin stuff. (If you hand load , then I'd say these two are about even.)

If you go for the 45/70 Gov. cartridge, be sure to try the Hornady "Leverlution" stuff. Shoots great out of my Guide and is a rock solid deer and hog killer from near point blank to 160-165 yards (longest shot I have taken with my Guide gun). I have killed feral hogs and deer at 20 yards or less, with full pass throughs for sure and no evidence of jacket separation. The 160 +/- yard shot was a hold over because my rifle is dead on at 75 by choice. The hit was a tad high, but the nice buck fell dead within 30 yards or so. The bullet was found under the skin on the ff side .... nearly perfectly mushroomed.

triglet 09-15-2012 09:20 PM

We have the same rules for primitive weapon! I shoot a .35 whelen in a handi rifle with the hornady 200gr. ammunition. It packs a nice kick so if you are recoil sensitive might wanna take that into consideration. Take into considerations what distance you will be shooting also!

zaboo 09-16-2012 04:07 PM

im not recoil sensitive as i shot 338s but how accurate is your handi rifle triglet

BarnesX.308 09-17-2012 08:03 AM

In PA, our primitive season requires the use of an open-sighted flintlock. For many years, we had to use a patch and ball as well. A few years ago we were allowed to use conicals.

A center fire rifle for primitive weapons season? Sounds like your state wants to lower the doe population.

Mojotex 09-17-2012 03:17 PM

I took a look at the NEF website. I don't see any of the 35 cal. or 338 cal. family of cartridges. I am not sure where you are hunting ... but did I guess correctly that the bullet must be 35 cal. or larger ? If so that pretty much linmits you to the 40 ca. + stuff.

I agree that a 35 Wheelen would be nice, but go look for factory ammo ??? Tough to find at the "usual" outlets.

As far as accuracy ... I have firsthand shooting expeerience with only 4 Handy rifles ... 308 Win. (1), 243 Win. (2) and 30/30 Win. (1). The owners and I tried a few factory loads for each. i do not recall which ... been 6-7 years ago. My recollenction is that all 4 shot decent enough. One of the 243's was a very nice grouping rifle using a particular factory load .. I'm 95% sure that it was a Winchester Supreme load using a 100 gr. bullet ... but I do not recall any details.

I worked up a load for the guy that had the 308 Win. Came up with a nice grouping round. As I recall it was a 165 gr. Game King at about mid-velocity of a Speer handloading manual.

zaboo 09-17-2012 04:33 PM

yes the law is that the cal has to be 35 or larger. the 338 ive shot is not a nef hr. im hoping to get one soon in 35 whelen the ammo is very common down here because it is used alot just like 444 and 45/70 are very popular here

furgitter 09-17-2012 05:52 PM

Ive got a 58 cal air rifle made by Haley out of Mississippi. Its a monster of a gun, and kicks like a mule! People are killing Elk and Bison with these things! Now why should I call that a primitive rifle? There were air rifles out there before there were cap and ball rifles. Lois and Clark had one on there expadition when they went west. As a matter of fact, it may be the reason the natives allowed them to pass without a fight. It fired a 41 or 42 cal ball, and had 20 rounds in a tube mag which made reloading real easy. Alot more intimidating than a musket they had to reload in several steps.