HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   no rain for food plot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372360-no-rain-food-plot.html)

zaboo 09-11-2012 07:45 PM

no rain for food plot

i threw out some seeds and wet them with a water tanker just to get some food up. will my plot grow if i seed it dry because there is no rain in the forcast for weeks it seems

PREDATE 09-11-2012 09:19 PM

Can you keep watering with the tank? We had to do the same thing earlier this summer. We watered it daily until it was all sprouted, then it took ahold.
Good luck!

nchawkeye 09-12-2012 08:08 AM

Now you know how farmers feel every year...

I'd wait to plant when there is a chance of rain...

Dang, you are in LA, you guys got plenty of rain a couple of weeks ago...

HatchieLuvr 09-12-2012 09:27 AM

I asked my biologist bud who works with me pretty much the same thing as late June thru mid-August were BONE DRY here in west TN. He said if the drought persists you're probably better off to NOT water them and just let the seed sit until sufficient moisture causes germination. Now since you watered them at planting I would recommend you to water them at least weekly or the drought might kill whatever germinated!

Lastyear my seed sat in the ground 3 weeks before it recieved the first drop of rain. (I drag everything with large section of heavy, double fencing so cut grass/weeds and dirt did lightly cover the seed plus aid any moisture retention) I was worried about germination and the kale & turnips never came up very well but the wheat came up fine. Since mid-August we've been avg weekly 1/2-1"+ of rain so the soil is now ready for planting which I plan to do over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the rains will continue! :confused0024:
HL

halfbakedi420 09-12-2012 10:03 AM

if they cracked already, better water em once a day to get em goin and wait on rain....
throwing down dry seed is ok, as mentioned, let nature do it...the bad thing is, maybe the birds eat yer seed...can they eat it all? prolly not.....but how much did ya spend on seed....do ya want it to be bird seed?
so wait til the weather man says its gonna rain...(lil boys who lie grow up to be the weather man lol )......then throw it out...skip all the washes and low spots...most of that will get washed away, so put it thicker somewhere else. ideally it would be a slow rain fer 3-5 days...good luck with that! soul tradin time lol...
ya definitely dont want cats and dogs rain though cause the seeds float
gl.

zaboo 09-12-2012 01:57 PM

planted today, we got a good rain :party0005:

HatchieLuvr 09-12-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by zaboo (Post 3976579)
planted today, we got a good rain :party0005:

Good deal, hope they get at least a .5"-1" of water a week on them. If so they should be good to go.

Hope this cooling trend continues! :hail:
HL

Mojotex 09-15-2012 06:34 PM

I hunt SE Alabama. We never plant fall/winter food plots before late September. Used to plant about Labor Day, but experienced way too many years of very dry Octobers ... resulting in having to replant.

I have no answers ! And as already mentioned ... imagine being a grain farmer this summer !!! About any where across the SE USA or in the "corn belt" .... you would have been looking at an extended drought.

Valentine 09-17-2012 04:39 PM

Farmers could have told you...

about the effect of drought decades ago, if you were around.

I just love hunters becoming farmers and nary a clue.

Ever hear of the dust bowl. Naw, that was in the 1930's. A little before hunter's food plot time.