Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Less does, more rutting bucks? >

Less does, more rutting bucks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Less does, more rutting bucks?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is some states, I think maybe Pennsyvania, that at one point i belive had a law that you had to kill a doe before you could kill a buck.
It was New Jersey that had Earn-a-Buck. In PA, we protected our doe until about 10-12 years ago. We never had an earn-a-buck, but we have a ton of doe hunting opportunities now. Mostly in archery, but some WMUs have a 2 week rifle season for doe and some WMUs have a 1 week season. We also have a 1 week ML season for doe-only in October.

Before that, we had a 3 day doe season (mon, tues, wed) and doe licenses were issued on a draw and were limited. There were 12-15 guys at our club who applied every year and 2-5 of them would get a doe license each year.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

You didn't upset me, I'm too old for a fellow on the internet to upset me, heck I've raised 3 daughters so I just enjoy life now...

If you have sanctuaries, bedding areas and food plots you will have does...

I don't worry about what the neighbors have, I manage mine...

I know this might not work for some as they don't have the land, machinery, talent or time to properly manage a herd...I'm just saying in my case it works...
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Two thoughts. Mother Nature seems to favor a 1:1 ratio given that is the normal birth rate in a healthy herd. Also, most big bucks are killed during the rut while they are searching, not actually locked down with a hot doe. Seems to me that an area with an over abundance of does would have the mature bucks in lock down mode most of the time as opposed to an area with a normal ratio where the bucks are doing as much or more actual searching rather than spending most of their time locked down.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

When we've had a good doe harvest early in the season, we've seen more bucks during the rut.I love to fill my freezer with doe meat any time.The worst venison I've ever had was a big buck I shot near the end of the rut,he was like trying to eat shoe leather.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Arkansas is quickly rising up in the world of big bucks. Since the beggining of our QDMA practice the herd has gotten to be more like you would see up north. On the farm I hunt, we have started the earn a buck program. Yopu must shoot at least one doe before you can shoot a buck. This year we can harvest up to 6 does and I promise you there shouldnt be any left over tags!!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Spike

In Wisconsin with CWD, a quite a few deer had been taken during that time, alot of doe because it was strictly earn a buck besides landowners had 1 buck tag... We saw the number of overall herd go down, however started seeing a lot more mature bucks on and around our property being scene and shot! I dont know if this helps but its the same idea....