Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

problem with neighbor

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default problem with neighbor

any advice for me, i hunt a long 21 acre plot of woods but it is only about 100 yards wide. the this will be my 3rd year hunting there but the neighbor likes to harrass me while out hunting and prefers to make noise right around prime time. does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this or a way to bring my problems to him face to face
any ideas would help
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

trying to talk to someone who is intentionally doing it will likly have bad results. try sneaking in so that he doesnt know you are there.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure of your state's laws , but here in NY it's harrassment and the ECO's will enforce it! I would without a doubt call the Environmental Conservation Officers!
(BUT) if you're right behind his home then I guess he would have more ground to stand on , if that's the case, then just do what snapper said!
Good luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

if he is doing so from his own property, not much you can do about it,
can try calling local game officials,
generally harrassing hunters is illegal, but that is generally on public lands, dont know how the law applies to people doing so from their own property,
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

From what I have seen, if he does this alot, the deer probably don't pay him no mind anyway. Either make a peace offering, ie: backstraps, he may not even know your huntin. If it's on purpose, well, you can't say you didn't try. Then find away to use that to your advantage.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Spike

He's more than likely not gonna stop. You can try calling his bluff and asking him to stop. However with someone of this maturity level it's not gonna do you much good!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

is he down wind? Is the land yours? Describe the guy... alone? Family? Old/Young?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

I would try and talk to your local DNR.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I guess the big question is why? Did you run off with the guys first born daughter or something?! If you two have a history of bad blood then you might just have to live with it. Not sure of your situation but hunting disputes can get REALLY nasty when legally both parties are in the right. not many people know that the Hatfields and McCoy conflict started over a 200in Booner! :-) kidding of course.
If you think he is doing it because he hunts on his side of the property then go talk to him... if it starts to get ugly then leave wait till he is hunting and give him some relaxing tunes of some german screamo rock :-) Chances are its not intentional and like someone already said ambient sound that is always there like people talking from thier front porches, car doors, quads, ect don't really bother the deer once they are used to it.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you on private property or public? I had the same problem when I bought my grandparents farm several years back. The guy who farmed their property lived next door and he was a real A*&hole!!! When he saw that I was there deer hunting he would drive his ATV in a property patrol exercise manner. He saw me in a stand once and stopped and began to talk to me like I wanted to talk to him then!!! Come to find after I bought the place he would do it more then.
I began to video tape him doing this from the stand and then during gun season he would do it while wearing brown Carhart coat and bibs with a .243 in the gun scabbard. Here in Illinois you cannot be in field with a rifle during gun deer season or be out in the field without blaze orange unless you are waterfowl hunting or the Game Wardens. We can only use shotguns with slugs, muzzleloaders or handguns to firearm hunt. We had words several times over various issues that he felt for he lived there all his life it was his world and ways, no matter. IDNR with video in hand told him differently!!!!
One rifle and ATV later and several citations to work with, he found out differently!!! Sorry so long, just becareful of how you enter so as not to let him know you are there and just take a vid cam along and keep track of his going ons if possible for use later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.