Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

North Florida Hunting

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default North Florida Hunting

I just got on a lease in Jasper, fl and got my first spots picked out this weekend. Everyone on the lease sets up ladder stands around the cypress domes and food plots but nobody hunts more than 50 Hess off of our dead end roads. It's 800 acres and very very thick! Mostly planted pines that are about 8 inch diameter with cypress domes scattered throughout. There is a ton of undergrowth in the pines and it's very hard to get around deep in there if you can at all. I found a few nice rubs on the NE side of a done which is fairly good walk from any road. They are the only rubs I found that are fresh. I also found deer droppings right there. My questions is, should I spend a lot of time in that spot of hang around the food plots? Or should I try my best to cut my way into a dome and somehow hunt there? These guys don't kill many deer but clubs bordering kill lots and big ones too. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a biological desert to me. A pine plantation of trees that size usually does not permit much (if any) underfrowth of succlent browse. And nothing more than a handful of cypress hammocks (domes) on the 800 acres does not sound to me like much natural food. Deer like browse and mast (acorns, persimmons, etc.). Mast does not last long, but can be a hot area if there are not many acorn flats in the area. If I were you, I'd look high and low for the oaks. Might be worth setting up on these early in the season.