Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Should this bother me?/need to vent >

Should this bother me?/need to vent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should this bother me?/need to vent

Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same problem to. It just comes with hunting public land. As far as leaving him a present I say do it maybe he will step in it when he is climbing into his stand
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Lol Eddie that is a great idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

The best thing to do is, just find another spot. The deer you were seeing at this spot had to come from somewhere. Like that was posted earlier, find the place they are coming from. There will be a funnel, trail, or some land change that directs them by the place. It will save you a lot of heartache and unwanted worry, to just move. Even in our community, there are those that will bully there way in, take over, and just plain ol' think of themselves. I have been a Sheriff's Deputy, currently a Detective with the Sheriff's Office, I see these type everyday. No, absolutely no concern or respect for others. Then again, there is the remote possibility that he thinks he' helping you out. Who knows, with the camera placement, probably not. Save yourself some headache.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Dont get me wrong.. I have quite a few other trees I can be in come opening day, Im not worried about not having anywhere to sit. I was particularly excited about this spot however because it was a spot i had never sat before. Great funnel around a deep ditch that came out of a bedding area. I think if he had of just put his camera anywhere besides right on the salt lick i woulda been ok withit... Itll all be ok though in the end im sure... Ill just beat him to the tree opening morning. (he doesnt like to ride his four wheeler in till about 30 mins before daylight anyways)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Report him, for the violations.

Then use his work to your advantage. He put the corn there, now use it.

Find the travel corridors that lead to the site and hunt back from the pile. When he sees you dragging the deer out that you shot using his bait pile, he'll be so pissed and jealous that he might move it or leave all together.
Good point here. If you can find a pinch point or travel corridor upwind from the bait pile, and his stand, you can kill two birds with one stone. You get the deer and your scent wafts right down through his set up.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

oh man 80-90 acres for 3 or 4 guys! That's your issue. you can't get permission on private?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'd make a sign for his trailcam.

"Dear violator, This being public land, you are clearly in your right to hunt from the tree I've been in for the last three years. But should I physically find you here, it's my duty to call the warden and inform him of your transgression. If the 50lbs of corn just accidentally fell out of your pocket, I apologies for my erroneous hypothesis. Have a great season."

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default On public land . . .

There are no private places. And someone might have discovered the spot, two years before you did.

Don't depend on one place; that day or that season.
Have a couple of places you can move to that day.

Be prepared to move to a backup place. If small, perhaps in new territory.

If you can walk in and not drive in, you can avoid seeing ATV hunters.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

ive got a couple of suggestions. One would be leave the guy a note, with your cell number and ask him to call you. Get him on the phone and tell him you know its public land but since youve both taken a liking to same spot, possibly you could work together rather than possibly mess up each others deer season, work out times where each of you could hunt it, who knows you might end up with a good hunting buddy out of the whole thing.

other option would be to map out where and when hes going to come in and try and use him as a driver, set up some spots down wind that he may push the deer he spooks as he comes in.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Seems like having this guy tearing around has probably ruined this spot anyway. Find another spot that is overlooked, like others have mentioned. One of my favorites, for years was 200 yds from a public fishing parking lot consisting of a very skinny tract of woods that nobody ever hunted. Parking in the lot, most did not even realize I was hunting - and the fisherman, most from out of state, did not take much notice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.