HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Napping As A Hunting Strategy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/369425-napping-hunting-strategy.html)

WonderMonkey 08-22-2012 10:59 AM

Napping As A Hunting Strategy

How many of you enjoy napping in your stand as a hunting strategy? Usually a few days into the hunt a nap in my stand is the best thing ever. I'm in the woods "being one with nature" and a nice peaceful feeling comes over me. Which leads to a small nap.

bhensley 08-22-2012 11:10 AM

Gotta admit I'm guilty of a nap or 2 while out!

elmoughler 08-22-2012 11:19 AM

I'm afraid to nap in my stands, but I use basic ladder stands so there isn't much room for error. Now if im on the ground or in a blind I may catch one from time to time.

TeamWiscoUNIT61 08-22-2012 11:33 AM

I tend to doze off while i sit. Especially if its mid afternoon, like 2 oclock when its generally slow. It helps pass those afternoon hours where you Need to be in the stand so youre set for primetime. I've been awaken by that familiar breaking of sticks or leaves rustling to find deer right near me many times...but to elmoughler's point, i only do that when i have my harness on.

WonderMonkey 08-22-2012 11:38 AM

I like to nap when it is in the morning, waiting for a bit of light. Sure I could be paying attention to what's going on around me but that would ruin my nap!

PREDATE 08-22-2012 11:50 AM

I don't nap while hunting. I get all the sleep I need in the off season!! My cousin has missed a few great opprotunities due to napping in the woods!

jrbsr 08-22-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 3963536)
I like to nap when it is in the morning, waiting for a bit of light. Sure I could be paying attention to what's going on around me but that would ruin my nap!

That sudden slap on the ground would ruin your nap, and your day.
Make sure to have your safety harness on.
My sisterinlaws uncle fell asleep, then fell to his death.
So I can't handle napping in a stand.
Only on the ground where its safe.
No naps for me.

JMHO

HatchieLuvr 08-22-2012 11:52 AM

lol "Guilty as charged"! :sad0064: :happy0157:

I have had more than my share of naps in a treestand and even have trained myself to "listen" for approaching deer despite my eyes being closed. Works fine if in close, woods with noisy leaves on the ground. I remember waking up once on a field edge and seeing a LARGE deers rearend walking back into the woods! :cry:

Turkey season tho, man I'll get in a prime spot, pull out my call and hit it a few times, lay it beside me and zonk out. I've actually been awakened more than once by gobbles! One time in southern MO, mid morning, I set up 20yds inside the woods from a powerline/road intersection "favored strut area" where I'd had success before. I sat down, called a few times and went to sleep. 15 mins later 10yds behind me a THUNDEROUS GOBBLE nearly caused me cardiac arrest. I somehow managed NOT to jump, my eyes flew opened and I could hear the bird drumming and walking in the leaves behind me. I dared not move. He THUNDERED another gobble and was looking for "me". :confused2:

I thought, "Got nothing to lose." I decided to roll out on my right side (I shoot left handed) and only come up to my knees. I did, the bird froze and looked at me. Our eyes met and he had that, "OH $*#* I'm $*(@#*!" look in his eyes and he was about to spin to hightail it out of there. TOO LATE, my 870 Supermag roared and sent him rolling a yard or two down the hill. :woot:

My sons sleep CONSTANTLY, they expect "old dad" to wake them up when the game arrives! :sad0064: They have me trained VERY well. :D

Better asleep in the stand/blind if it means you being there and still vs getting up and going home! :party0005:
HL

WonderMonkey 08-22-2012 12:11 PM

Understood on the safety harness, I always wear one. Sorry to hear about your SIL's uncle.

WonderMonkey 08-22-2012 12:14 PM

I enjoy hunting for various reasons and pulling the trigger isn't at the very top. I get my deer for sure and if I hit a drought I would be more feverish but I enjoy being out there with my brother, uncle and friends. A nap here and there adds to my enjoyment. Once after I'd taken all the deer I wished to take I took a book up there and read it... napped a bit, etc. I watched a few deer go by and I just observed. It was great.

Bocajnala 08-22-2012 03:19 PM

When I feel like a nap, I take one. I'm in the woods to enjoy it, the hunt isn't always top priority. I've had many good naps during early archery deer and also in squirrel season.
-Jake

Savage Sniper 08-22-2012 04:31 PM

i've never napped, but i have read. highly recommend it.

Mojotex 08-22-2012 05:36 PM

Not no, but heck no !!! Getting into a habit of napping while sitting in a tree stand, I don't care what make or model, is asking for a disaster .... harness or no harness. For darn sure if you are not wearing a quality fall restraint. A few years ago I saw an ad that flat out stated that sleeping in their climber was perfectly safe ... arrgh !

snapper1982 08-22-2012 05:52 PM

i am guilty of an occassional nap. ask the guy i was filming 2 years ago he had to wake me up when a bigone came in.. yep he didnt connect lol

FlDeerman 08-22-2012 07:44 PM

I'm one of the no's unless in a ground blind,but I will read a book in a heart beat.My wife bought we a Nook so I want have to move much to turn the page this year.

deerdust 08-23-2012 10:06 AM

Gotta side with jrbsr and any others that said NO. Even with a proper fall restraint!!! If you have one on, and fall, and knock yourself out,,,, yes you have saved yourself from hitting the ground. BUT!!!!! Hanging there in your restraint will cut off the blood flow, and you will DIE!! The restraint is meant to keep you from hitting the ground should you fall. At that point, you can then get ahold of the tree or climbing stick and get yourself to saftey.

That said, my answer to your question is yes. I will climb down and use my pack as a pillow and take a midday nap if I so choose. Never in the tree.

@Mojotex, one of the ones that may have claimed that was the Treelounger. A buddy of mine used to sleep in his till it was light enough to see. Far as I know, with no issues. Still not I would do though.

fastetti 08-23-2012 05:17 PM

I doze off here and there for a few minutes, especially in box blinds with office chairs. I've been know to have a few after the hunt and get to bed a little too late. Heck, thats half the fun of hunting camp. If I'm in a tree, I very rarely do, I might rest my eyes but thats about it. Sometimes I will close my eyes and let me ears point me in the right direction if I hear faint sounds far away. Sometimes your eyes will lead you in the wrong direction of distant sound.

Beamer01 08-23-2012 08:01 PM

Sometimes I wish I could nap out there. I always get too nervous I will miss something coming through the area. Plus, I wait so impatiently all year to get out there I don't want to miss a second of it.

redrum 08-24-2012 09:20 AM

If I am in my blind, summit viper, or tree lounge a nap may very well be in the forecast. Harness? ALWAYS !!! In the woods i sleep light enough that I dont think one has ever gotten past me.......I think.

UPHunter08 08-24-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 3963510)
How many of you enjoy napping in your stand as a hunting strategy? Usually a few days into the hunt a nap in my stand is the best thing ever. I'm in the woods "being one with nature" and a nice peaceful feeling comes over me. Which leads to a small nap.

Since I'm usually in a small climbing stand, napping is a bad idea. ;) I have been known to doze off occasionally while in a ground blind, but I don't like to do that. I'm there to hunt, not sleep.

pinehilloak 08-26-2012 07:35 AM

I understand not sleeping in a ladder stand for safety...but if you can do so safely I see no problem with it...let those super hunters say all they want....they always see so many in the woods...but I don't see them on the wall...I know what's on mine...lol to each his own just enjoy life and enjoy the hunt...

Shoobee 08-26-2012 07:51 AM

After the drive, and buck fever keeping you up most of the first night, then getting up at 4 a.m., and hunting all morning long, it is hard NOT to nap from 2 to 5 pm in your stand.

Sometimes I am actually awakened by the deer during such naps.

I guess the deer are not bothered by a napping snoring hunter.

I think it is a good strategy after all.

fastetti 08-26-2012 10:00 AM

I have to agree with the last two posters. I have to say I've stayed up too late the night before a hunt at deer camp. Once the stories start and a few beers are cracked, it's sometime tough to stop when you want too! :)

UPHunter08 08-27-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by pinehilloak (Post 3964965)
I understand not sleeping in a ladder stand for safety...but if you can do so safely I see no problem with it...let those super hunters say all they want....they always see so many in the woods...but I don't see them on the wall...I know what's on mine...lol to each his own just enjoy life and enjoy the hunt...

Heh. I reread the thread and didn't see anyone claiming to be a superhunter. ;) My point was simply that I'm out there to enjoy the hunt...not sleep. I can sleep much better at home. I see nothing wrong if somebody wants to sleep while hunting. It increases the chances that buck will walk by their stand and into mine (has happened! LOL)