Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My new hunting lease.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like a good price to me! Im from vermont and to go to illinios just to hunt for a week even on public land would cost me more then that.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it is Fulton county I am about 25 minutes from the place and in October he and his wife may be going to the Philippines in October so I will be staying in the guest house for 15 days and hunting the weekends right out the back door.I figure guys pay 2,500-4,000 for a guided outfitter hunt 3-4 days surely I cant be over paying by much for the whole season.
Im working on buying a trail cam mine has stopped working.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you have a good deal there. Im lucky enough to have hunting ground. I have a 25 acre woods to myself and then share two smaller woods with my brothers and a youth from my dads church that we let hunt. I also just picked up another little 5 acre thicket yesterday just by calling around to local farmers. Can't wait to see some of your pictures
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Just a couple counties away in Pike or Adams, land is leasing for as high as $60 - $80 per acre. That would be $10,800 - $14,400 for the 180 acre parcel you are talking about. You also have the benefit of staying in a guest house on the property, and knowing that it hasn't been hunted in 14 years, if that is true. At the above prices, you get exclusive hunting rights and can have who you want come hunt with you. So, being that you can only bring 1 other to hunt, I would say the price is about right. You could even re-coup some of your cost with the other hunter you are allowed.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

I am leasing 100 acres in Eastern KY for $1500 that come out to $15 an acre which I actually low for this area. Most of the leases you find around here are between $16 to $18 an acre. I wanted a bigger plot but had a limited budget. I have around 500 acres that i split up in Northern Ky to hunt and I find myself bouncing around too much. By pulling out the bill fold i have forcded myself to concentrate on one area. Couldn't help putting trail camera's up else where though.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

The way I feel is if the option is not hunt or pay $2000 and get to hunt then I think the answer is simple. If you love to go hunting the cost is what you are comfortable with to pay to get to do it. Not everyone has a place they can hunt so some people must pay for the opportunity.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having grown up in that area I'd say if you can afford it, it's worth it. That entire area, Fulton, Knox and Peoria Co. have produce some of the biggest deer in the state over the past few years.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Let me jump on board with the folks who say you are NOT overpaying. by the looks of it you have a good mix of timber and ag land. You will be exponentially better off there than public land. '14 year un-hunted' situation aside, to DeerDust's point, land by us in Buffalo here is leasing in places for 50-70 per acre easy.... $2,000 is a very good deal on 180 parcel that you don't have to split between 9 random guys. The fact that you're going into a property with little to no recent hunting pressure is just a bonus. Keep us posted on your findings there.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 3150 acres of excellent white tail habitat in SE Alabama. Lease ran $8.25/acre this year ... which includes use of a nice full utilities camp house, skinning shed and 10 deer walk-in cooler.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To Think

I can remember when Illinois wasn't a known deer hunting destination. And to think I use to hunt small farms in other states for nothing.
Did you get assigned a specific gps location?

Kidding. I'm getting a little old.