Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
when you first hunt a White tail deer? >

when you first hunt a White tail deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when you first hunt a White tail deer?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Spike

Default when you first hunt a White tail deer?

hi..guys,just share about your first hunting experience for the white tail deer..about hunting tools you used...was the hunting successful?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

First bow deer14 years old. I had a high country sniper equipped with aluminum arrows. I was stalking through the woods in a light rain and before I knew it there was a spiker on the other side of a thorn bush 10yds away. I ran him through with a 100gr.muzzy. He only ran 20yds before toppling! I had him gutted and dragged back to the house(1/4mile) in about 3 minutes flat!!!
First shotgun deer 16 years old. I had an old marlin 12Ga. bolt action shotgun. I went out back stood up on a tree stump. 15 minutes later a forker came from behind me and passed me at 5yds. I let him get out to 30yds and put him down.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

I used to go out when I was younger 12 or 13 but had no experience so was not sucessful. I started going again when I was in college back in 2006 and have been going every year ever since. I have harvested a deer all but one year. When I first started I used a JC Higgins 16 guage bolt action that was given to me by my grandpa. Now I use a Remington 870 with a slug barrel. I have been sucessful ground hunting with and without a blind and hunting from a tree as well. First deer I shot was opening day in 2006 with a Winchester 1300. I had two doe fawns come in aprox 50 yards right at shooting time and dropped her with a spine shot. I have a 2 year old son now who loves watching hunting videos with me so can't wait till he is old enough to go hunting with me.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
I have a 2 year old son now who loves watching hunting videos with me so can't wait till he is old enough to go hunting with me.
That's definately something to look forward to!
My fiance can't have children, so that's something I won't get to experience (unless we adopt). We do have 14 nieces and nephews. Hopefully I can keep a few of them interested til' they're old enough!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

i went on a couple youth mentored hunts with no luck before i was twelve. it was really just spending time outside more than hunting.

Well my first licensed hunt i went out with my bow and my dad. I was 12 years old. It was the first day of archery and my dad slept in till 9 a.m... i was pissed! so we headed out, still hunting in a thicket. we popped around a bush and saw a big spike. my dad whispered "shoot it" knowing we wouldnt get many chances to going out that year since at the time my mother was terminally ill. there was a hole in a thorn bush the size of a soft ball in the thorn bush, revealing his vitals. He said can you make that shot? i drew my bow, and he got to see me slip the arrow right behind his shoulder. We were so excited he was almost in tears being so happy. the deer ran 20 yards and we got to see it drop in sight. that will always be very special to me.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

First deer was when I went out with my grandpa using his savage model 99 in .300. A fork horn with one side busted off came running across the field and then turned and ran straight for us. I shot and the deer dropped. Little did I know that since I was so nervous, I had been off the mark and shot the deer through the front knee, exiting into the back knee, as we walked up, the deer for up and I shot it again, finally ending the hunt. Not the greatest deer, or the greatest shot, but one I will remember forever.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have just shared my first whitetail hunt on another post, but while sharing that the flood of memories that came back. The smells, that dreamy feeling, and the sounds. I was about 10 years old, my family owned and operated a dairy farm in West Tenn. It was Saturday morning, my dad, who was a Hard core Vietnam Vet. who never hunted out of a tree stand, set us up the afternoon before a spot in a patch of honey suckle. That morning, getting into our spot in the dark, the sounds of deer, to me were every where. Dad kept telling me to be quiet, I kept asking " did you hear that ". It was somewhat foggy, then ever so quietly, several does began to come into the cut silage field corner. Then dad said, "ok, there he is". I remember looking down the barrel of my savage bolt action .410 loaded with 3" Remington slugs, at then young bucks shoulder. The bead covered the whole shoulder. At the shot, my dad says, with an expletive "you missed him". I remember shaking uncontrollably while he walked the 25-30yrds were the buck had stood. Then with a wave of his hand, he had found hair. 75yrds later we stood over my buck, I was crying, felt like I was in a dream. Dad even had water in his eyes. He hugged me so tight. That was the trophy of a lifetime for me, now. I have killed much, much bigger deer since that morning, but looking back, with my dad now gone, that was and is the trophy of my life time.
Rest in peace, my dad, James Plunk, Vietnam Vet. Dad, you never let them win !
Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Spike

Default Fact of hunting experience..

Really great stories you guys have to hunt deer since your early age..
All friends here must go through your experiences.........
well guys I suppose you people now would be the perfect hunter....
just one shoot and the prey is finish...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

Use to go with my Grandad all the time. For years would just sit up in the stand with him eating peanuts. A lot of the time would fall asleep, haha, but he would always wake me up to see the deer. In fact, thats what happened when I killed my first deer. Woke me up, Big 6-point standing in the green field, got ready, then dropped him in his tracks.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first time deer hunting was off of a eight foot tall wooden stand made out of 2X4's an my dad drug it into an area an leaned it up against a pen oak tree. I climbed on the stand at the age of 12 with a single shot 20 gauge shotgun with a pocket full of buckshot. Shot my first deer an never find it that was in 1975.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.