Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging Stands

Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

I always put my stands out about two weeks before the season starts. So the deer can get used to them being there.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt at least 75% of my time from a climber. I seldom set one up in advance, and prefer to scout a lot .... then ease in when sign picks up and wind is right for slipping into the area.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

If you are planning to bow hunt the stands, and it is an area you haven't had a stand before, you need to get out there now and get them hung. If there is any major cutting you might need to do for shooting lanes, you want it done as soon as possible. If it is an area you will be hunting again next year, and you can trust leaving the stands, you might want to replace nylon straps with chain and quick links. (Don't forget to tighten quick links) You'll want to check these before each season, so they don't get too tight on the tree, and cut shooting lanes. Remember not to over cut. You want to keep enough cover, (when you can) so you don't stand out like a sore thumb. Climbers can usually be done on the spot.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the very latest a I have everything set to go a month before the season but try to have most set by Memorial Day. Not only to give the deer plenty of time to adjust but to avoid the heat and bugs when putting them up. We also try and do any major trimming then. I'll have a couple more going up here next week and check all other stands for any problems and do any minor shooting lane trimming. Any major trimming for new stands I like to have done months in advance, deer don't recognize the little stuff as much as the major stuff.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Year round ladder stands...

although we move and check them throughout the year/season etc...

I loosen ratchets and re-snug them at least once a year for tree growth, and or replace them if need be.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
Got several out now . Just got to put a few more out hopefully soon
Hey Rhody Hunter..
You are awesome .. Here we are discuss about the whitetail deer hunting procedure ..In which people are getting and showing their interest. For more details about the hunting please visit above link ...Which clear your all doubt.

Last edited by deerdust; 08-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have 15 that stay out all year and move them if need be soon after season ends if at all posible...I trim shooting lanes now but stay out after sept 1st