Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging Stands

Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Spike

Default Hanging Stands

When do most of you start hanging your stands. I was thinking about starting to put a few out this weekend or should i wait closer to season to see where their moving.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have one I keep up year round, my other one I'll be putting up this week
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

I like to have my stands in and have shooting lanes trimmed ATLEAST 2 weeks before opening day.
You should have time to scout your spots. I like to scout all year long. Whether I'm coyote hunting in late winter, spring turkey hunting, trout,walleye,bass,musky fishing, fall turkey hunting, summer/fall mushroom hunting. I always have deer movement in mind!
It's likely that if they're there now then they'll be there when season starts. What do deer have in mind (when not in the rut), food, cover, wind, visibility, escape routes, water.
You should also keep tree foliage in mind, so that when the leaves drop you're not sticking out like a sore thumb.
Hope this helps. Also if you put where you hunt (state) in your profile, then you'll get more detailed answers because different parts of the country call for different tactics. Such as, if you're in the dry parts of the U.S. you'd probably focus more on setting up near water.
Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of mine were put up last week, still have one ladderstand to move and one held back in reserve. THis was pretty much normal for me - 30 days before the opener.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Spike

The very latest we put any out is when we go bow hunting. We generally use that time to trim firing lanes, putting up stands, clearing ATV paths, etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

When ready to hunt...

I use climbers...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

I usually put up new stands and trim shooting lanes about a month before season. I feel it gives the deer plenty of time to get use to it and calm down from all the scent I leave. Then I leave them there year round,(loosen the straps at the end of season a bit) but check on them before every season to make sure the straps and stand are still good and safe.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I make sure I'm.out of an area a solid month be4 the opener. Get everything I.want.done.by then and.stay out maybe check a camera in the area a few weeks be4 season but that's it
Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

2-3 weeks prior to season has worked well for me.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got several out now . Just got to put a few more out hopefully soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.