Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you sit on?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Spike

Default What do you sit on?

Fairly obvious for a tree stand, but I bowhunt front a popup blind for bow season and a box blind for gun season. I've used old office chairs, bag chairs buckets with a heat pad, and folding chairs...each has their pros and cons. I've seen some swivel blind seats without back it seems like they would get uncomfortable quick.

What do you use in either a popup blind or box stand and why?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You mean to say...

you don't use an e z boy lounge.

Just kidding.

The manufacturers, I guess, don't want to get into how heavy the real comfortable stuff is? Modern coach potatoes need all the comfort assistance they can get.

The problem in the end is just getting those comfort lounges into the woods. Even if the tower stand is less than 100 yards from a trail or road.

Manufacturers don't even bring it up.

Of course, if you were in West Texas......

Last edited by Valentine; 08-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I use my dove hunting stool. There are stools that double bull and other companies that are putting out there. I use a folding hunting stool. It's quiet , sturdy, and I just put a hunting cushion on it to stay comfortable for those longer waits. Plus, you can pick one up reasonable. Here in Tennessee, a "dove" stool is on every sporting goods store shelf, I probably have 3 or 4 hanging in my shop, mainly because, I get all my stuff together for a trip to the dove field, and I'll forget that @$&! stool and have to stop and pick one up. They are also light to carry
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 3 legged stool that folds up. Has a triangular seat. Is ok if I'm not sitting all day.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Folding camp chair. They're light, inexpensive, portable, and fairly comfortable, and sit high enough to look out a pop-up blind without straining. If someone steals them, I'm only out $10.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Either a folding camp chair or a 5 gal bucket
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Folding camp chair. They're light, inexpensive, portable, and fairly comfortable, and sit high enough to look out a pop-up blind without straining. If someone steals them, I'm only out $10.
X 2...They come in a variety of colors also, even camo nowadays.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default Camp Chair for bow or rifle?

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
X 2...They come in a variety of colors also, even camo nowadays.
I used a camp chair most of last year..the only time i didn't was when it broke and I ended up sitting on a bucket until my butt went numb. The down side of the camp chair was it was difficult to use my bow out of it...I found it easier to set the chair back a bit and if I needed to draw to slip to a knee in the pop up blind to shoot. Rifle wasn't much of an issue...
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its gun hunting we use office chairs in our box blinds. My father who is touching 70 likes to pick up a bigger and better office chair to bring to deer camp every year just to drive our buddies crazy. Last one was a high back leather chair with arm rests and a massage button (broken). I think it only cost him $30. I swear he does it just to get a kick out of his friends but I think he spends half the morning hunts sleeping so it works out for him.

For the rest of the blinds I have laboratory office chairs in them. They are the same as office chairs just made out of think plastic where the fabric usually goes. They are comfortable, rain runs right off and the rodents don't knaw into them. They really make hunts more comfortable when not seeing anything. I also get them if they are broken (missing wheel or don't adjust) for $5 and they are around $300 new. I'll just put a wood block under the missing wheel or adjust it and keep it at the same height.

I've also used the folding lawn chairs before. They are cheap and work well and usually cost less than $10 so if they break its not a big loss.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

I like to take 2 tires, drill 3 or 4 matching holes, then bolt them together. Then I bolt 2 2x4's on the top. Followed by screwing several 2x4's perpindicular, onto the first 2 2x4's to make the top. A jigsaw or circular saw to trim the wood top so it is round and flush to the tire edge. Use power sander to make top smooth and level. I leave it on the stand, and a couple along paths, permanently. The tires make it a bit spongy, especially if you use ATV tires. You can turn any direction quietly. Move against a tree if you want a back rest. Turn on it's side when not using to keep the snow off. I made the first one to get rid of a pair of tires, and since have made several more because I liked it so much. Looks RedNeckish but is the best hunting seat I've used to date.
I'll see about taking a picture the next time I go to check on the food plot.

Last edited by BIG TUNA; 08-15-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: adding info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.