Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting? >

Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Old 09-06-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

I am asked this question by some of our viewers, and would like to hear what the hunters of this website have to say, your information will help shape and form a segment on hunting! Should you go out and shoot your rifle or bow a week before the season begins or several months, thanks for your help..

Dr. Mike
Old 09-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

I shoot during all but the coldest months and practise a great deal before going hunting.I feel that we owe it to the animals to make a quick clean kill and regular practise provides the highest odds of doing this.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Yes it is important to practice before you go out hunting...Especially bowhunting..I practice at least three months before..
Old 09-06-2003, 08:01 PM

You should always stay in practice. The more you shoot (bow or gun) the more confident you will feel when that brusier steps out in front of you. Shot placement is one of the most important aspects of hunting. Being ready should be a the top of your list.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always practice with my guns, mainly to make sure the zero is still there and they are working properly. with a bow, i like to start about a month before the season and shoot at least 30 arrows each time. not only does this check out the equipment, but it helps build up the back muscles that you use to draw the bow, then i practice shooting from my tree stand.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I posted to your question in the other forum;

" I look at it this way. I believe it is our deepest responsibility to the animals to be as efficient as reasonable for a quick and humane kill. Therefore we, as hunters, must be as professional about our pursuit of game and the taking of game as football players in the NFL. Do you see anyone in the NFL that doesn' t start working out and practicing weeks and months before the season? No, not any that last any way. With practice comes muscle memory and familiarity with one' s gear. The guy/gal that shows up at deer camp, boxes of shells several years old, and fires 1 shot the day before at a paper plate isn' t an ethical hunter in my book. S/he may be a fine shot and have a great gun that stays at the same piont of impact year after year. I just have no respect for someone that takes such a lazy approach to the well-being of the game to be so callus and careless about being an efficient killer.

However, people are lazy, that is a fact, and all the preaching in the world won' t change it. So, if you want to heed my advice, get out there and shoot, and shoot a lot. Because when you do things work out better for both sides of the coin. "
Old 09-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I concur that practice is essential to remain confident and ensure we do our part in making a clean, ethical harvest of the game we chase regardless of the equipment used(Gun or Bow). Time on the practice range for me has always led to success in the field & worth every minute. It keeps ours skills and spirit honed for the seasons that lie ahead. The added bonus is talking and meeting fellow sportsman while practicing lots of good information & stories are told on the range.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:22 AM

The upmost importance is put on praticing with my weapons.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

How important is it? I don' t even know where to begin to answer that, let me put it short and kindly: hunters practice enough, dumb@$$es either don' t practice, or go to the range a week ahead of season and put a couple shots on the board, say " it' s 1" high at 100yrds, just perfect" .

I may be a bit obsessive, but I know the average POI deviation for every 10yrds of my primary deer rifles' shots out to 1200yrds, cataloging a shot count for that rifle alone approaching 2500rnds. For my secondaries, I know them every 25yrds out to 800yrds, and my primary hunting handgun I know for every 5yrds out to 150yrds. I know where I' m hitting, and I don' t think it' s too much to ask that anybody know their POI deviation (group sizes) for at least every 25-50yrds of the maximum range they would ethically take a shot. If a hunter doesn' t know what a deer looks like at 400yrds, claims a 300yrd maximum range, and makes a range stimation error, hopefully he' d miss entirely, but he' s guaranteed not to make a clean kill! If he would have familiarized himself with relative target size per range, and actually knew where his bullet was headed at all ranges between here and there, that' s a perfectly ethical shot, otherwise, it' s an idiot taking a pot shot.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:43 AM

I usally get around in the a.m. shoot 1 arrow, put the bow away for a few hours. then I go out and shoot for about 1 hour,4 to 5 times a week.keeps me in tune.

Quick Reply: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.