Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Old 09-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

I agree with youi guys! Practice is very important! I shoot my guns asoften as I possibly can. I put my bow away after the season until spring. Then I will start shooting once or twice a week, and by late August I will be shooting my bow almost every day.

I' ve know people who will shoot a couple of bullets, and pronounce that their guns are right on the money. I have also known people who pay a range owner to sight their guns in for them. I have very little respect for these people, as I feel that they have very little respect for the sport of hunting, and the fine animals that we hunt!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Practice is essential! If you hunt from a stand, practice shooting at 3D targets from a stand. If you hunt from a blind, practice shooting from a blind if you are a stillhunter or tracker, practice offhand shooting. After sighting my gun in, I practice shooting from various positions. I continually practice throughout the season, as well as doing as much shooting as possible in the off season. I also enjoy shooting skeet, which is excellent for developing coordination and offhand shooting skills. One can never practice enough.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least some practice is critical, but not everyone needs the same amount of practice to achieve an acceptable level of accuracy. What may seem like nothing to one guy, is all that another needs to place all his shots in the 10 ring.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

You had to ask that question ?
I have a cousin that I love like a brother , but won' t hunt with him because he almost never practices . Only poachers and brown and downers don' t practice , they don' t feel the need , but I do . When I line up the shot I want to know in my heart that I' ve done all that I can do to insure an ethical , clean , and humane kill . I' ll pass on any shot that makes me wonder about it , and I' ve passed far more often than not .
Old 09-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Very!
Old 09-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy who, not only doesn' t practice, he doesn' t even check the zero on his rifle prior to the season. He says the zero doesn' t change from sitting in the closet and that he doesn' t want to waste the shells. He' s a really cheap guy. I give him a hard time but he won' t come around. I shoot as much as I can as I reload and I' m always trying out new loads.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see people that will take thier gun out a week or so before season and maybe shoot a box of ammo ,Do all of thier shooting off of a benchrest and think they are ready for anything . Is that what you mean by practice . Myself I believe in shooting year round and as much as possible in all types of situations ,then maybe you can be proficient .
Old 09-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe in the old expression...practice does not make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is a good example of why you should practice. i have not shot my bow in a few years due to some medical problems. decided to get back into it this year. so i started shooting 15 arrows a day to get me going. shot for five days, on the last day, i shot 15 arrows, on the last one, the string broke on the bow. that could have just as easily happened in the woods, anyways, the bow is in the shop getting a new string and i will get back to shooting next week, still have about a month to go before the start of bow season here.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 AM
Host of Hosts

I try to shoot alot during the year, not just at the opening of the season. I see too many guys hang a paper plate shoot at it ten times hit it six times and say we gotta go i have to save the other 10 rounds for deer hunting.

Quick Reply: Hunters, how important is it to go out and pratice shooting your rifle or bow before hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.