Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How often should i check the camera? >

How often should i check the camera?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often should i check the camera?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Spike

Conventional wisdom says the fewer trips you make into the area the better. At this time of year I try to go once every two weeks to make sure the feeder is still working properly, the hogs haven't destroyed anything, the batteries are all still good... Our lease in TX is also a riding lease with lots of trails so I stop in to check the camera whenever I'm out riding as well...I'd say I average about once a week between intentional stops and days when I stop in just because I'm out there and can't stand to not know what's on the cards.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once a week in some spots every couple weeks in others.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

It all depends on the situation. My situation for example: Before season starts I have to cover a large area with limited cameras. To cover the property well, I like to cover every 100 acres. I use a 50 lb bag of corn on the ground every time because it takes them awhile to get use to a feeder. I have found that it takes the majority of the deer in the area I place my camera a day or two to find the corn to start coming to it regularly. Then 7 days of good activity until I don't get anymore new deer coming to the bait, but just in case I leave it out a couple more days. So, for me 10 days then I move to a new location. And usually the corn is gone by this time as well.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I check mine every weekend. I always say that I am going to wait at least 2 weeks, but I can never make it that long.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually check mine every 1 to 2 weeks if its close by and on the Farm,at the Hunting Lease I check it every 3 or 4 weeks?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Private Land I usually check them every 2 weeks

Pubic Land I usually check them everyday or 2 then move them.. I take them out on the weekends most of the time.. Seems thats when most folks are out roamin the public land doin who knows what lol..
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once a week and I move mine around a lot so I don't scent up the area.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I check mine about once a month. You don't want the deer to pattern you. You have to remember just because you go into check the camera an do not see anything walking in to check it. They may be watching you while you are walking to your camera. The season is getting close now. Too much pressure is not a good thing.