Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

muzzy vs rage

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by junkmonkey17
I shoot a 45 pound bow so will that affect which one is better
use a muzzy, forget about rage shooting 45#
Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Muzzys are stronger....Rage open some big holes.....and more accurate......ive shot muzzys for 15 years and rage the last 5 years.....both are great broadheads.....
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

At 45 lbs I would use the Muzzys.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by junkmonkey17
I shoot a 45 pound bow so will that affect which one is better
Friend - The 45# bow is more than capable of killing any deer that walks provided you have good shot placement (that goes with any wt). But IMHO I would use a cut on contact BH. Some good ones out there are Magnus Stingers, Muzzy Phanthom and either the Slick Trick Razor Trick or Viper. Any of these will fly true out of a well tuned bow. And to learn how to properly tune your bow, read the first couple posts on the technical forum or download the Easton Guide to Bow Tuning. The traditional Muzzy with the trocar tip may not give you a pass through which, although not necessary, makes for a much better blood trail. And again, IMO, needed when hunting from a treestand as your entry will likely be high enough for the blood to collect in the chest cavity. A two blade Rage albeit a good BH does require a fair amount of energy for a pass thru. Although lately I shoot about 65#, I shot several buck in the past couple years shooting only 53# @ 28" draw using the Magnus Stinger 4 blade. Each shot from the treestand was a complete pass thru and the last 4 of 5 died within sight from this set up.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Spike

And so it begins...

Rages are terrible, forget about them. Muzzy is the better head. Also take look at RamCat, they are killer. Also I am a fan of Grim Reaper Whitetail Special.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzy x1000
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by browtine7
Both work fine with a well placed shot

Yup. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge.

You'll hear good and bad, just like Muzzy vs Rage.

I'd shoot that which is most accurate for my setup.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Rages are terrible, forget about them. Muzzy is the better head. Also take look at RamCat, they are killer. Also I am a fan of Grim Reaper Whitetail Special.
Are you talkiong about the three blade or rage in general. four years ago I decided to see what all the hype was with the rage broadheads. I bought a pac of the three blade. by farr without a doubt the worst broad head i've ever owned. I switched to the Blood Runner two blade spring loaded broadheads and loved them. Last year i had someone give me a pack of Rage two blades. I can honestly say it took one doe to realize how far superior they were. MASSIVE exit wounds, I killed my buck last year with one and the Taxedermy compared o to a 30-06. I had a friend pull a shot BAD at 40 yards on a 160 class last year. Looking broadside he hit about two inches in front of his rear haunch. Buck didn't go 100 yard. I personally will probably never shoot anything but rage two blade now. but yes the Three blades are terrible. I shoot a Destroyer at ~72lbs.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've only been pulling 40lbs the past couple of years and I use the 3 blade, 125 grain Muzzy heads.

They are great heads.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bnbplay
And so it begins...

And so begins the annual debate.

In my experience, Rage 2-blades work great (heard bad things about 3-blade, but haven't used them personally). Huge holes, great blood trail, easy to tune.

Only downside is you need a high-energy bow to make the most of them. 45# isn't fast enough for most (any?) mechanical BHs. Stick with fixed-head broadheads with your setup and you'll be OK once you've properly tuned your bow to ensure they fly right.