Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Same Day Ground Blind Hunting Set Ups >

Same Day Ground Blind Hunting Set Ups

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Same Day Ground Blind Hunting Set Ups

Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Question Same Day Ground Blind Hunting Set Ups

Going to hunt some public land this year.. Dont really care to hang treestands and leave them there for anyone to steal or use ... So does anyone have any experience with same day set up ground blind hunting ???

I was planning on scouting out a few places depending apon the wind at the few different blocks of land and preping the area.. Clearing the ground, putting a pile of stuff to brush in with right by the sight.. So I can pop up , brush in and get right in and hunt...

I know that brushing in, placing the blind against a tree or laydown or thicket, put it off the trail 20 yards or so and keep the back windows closed are all good things to do.. Make it so the deer pass by broadside and not straight at you ... etc etc

Anyone have any success doing this and any tips or tricks ??? Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

i think you would have better luck leaving it up for a week or so, but you might as well try it.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do this "same day" ground blind hunting a pretty good bit. It works fine. I have taken deer, turkey and a couple of feral hogs from such a set up. I have killed deer as close as 10 yards or so. Keys as I see them are to get in early or set up the evening before, set up as quietly, and "brush-in" if at all possible. In my opinion, a good "brush-in" is a key to concealment.

Smaller blinds of course are usually lighter in weight. But weight is not all there is. You'll appreciate easy set up and need ample room in which to move to get the shot. You'll need a quiet stool of some sort in order to stay comfortable hours on end, and see out the windows well. A super quiet swivel stool is very helpful. And if you plan on hunting in foul weather, rain proof or highly moisture resistant is a must.

If you are not carrying far, take a good look at a Double Bull .... expensive I realize, but I have used one for 5 seasons and it has been super. Simple and fast to set up. Plenty of room. But relatively heavy. I also have a couple of inexpensive "TP" style blinds. These are very light weight compared to the Double Bull, but have drawbacks. Smallish ... no way I could bow hunt out of one of these. Not all that easy to set up. And not weather proof. I sprayed these down with "Camp Dry" and it really helped in light rain. However for gun hunting, these smaller blinds are OK.

If you are going to hunt public land where there is a good chance someone else may stumble by or set-up relatively near, I'd suggerst that you tie 2-3 or so pieces of "hunter orange" cloth to the top of the blind. Deer will not see it. Hunters should.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

A really quiet blind that sets up fast, but requires a bit more wind in your favor is simply make of 4.5 ft long 1x2's with 54" camo burlap stapled on. Insert long pole barn spikes into drilled holes in the ends and hack saw off the heads. This sets up in minutes with little noise in a tight spot between some evergreens. Brush it in a little and you are pretty much invisible. The blind around you offers some scent protection, but likely you will get busted is a deer is downwind.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I do this "same day" ground blind hunting a pretty good bit. It works fine. I have taken deer, turkey and a couple of feral hogs from such a set up. I have killed deer as close as 10 yards or so. Keys as I see them are to get in early or set up the evening before, set up as quietly, and "brush-in" if at all possible. In my opinion, a good "brush-in" is a key to concealment.

Smaller blinds of course are usually lighter in weight. But weight is not all there is. You'll appreciate easy set up and need ample room in which to move to get the shot. You'll need a quiet stool of some sort in order to stay comfortable hours on end, and see out the windows well. A super quiet swivel stool is very helpful. And if you plan on hunting in foul weather, rain proof or highly moisture resistant is a must.

If you are not carrying far, take a good look at a Double Bull .... expensive I realize, but I have used one for 5 seasons and it has been super. Simple and fast to set up. Plenty of room. But relatively heavy. I also have a couple of inexpensive "TP" style blinds. These are very light weight compared to the Double Bull, but have drawbacks. Smallish ... no way I could bow hunt out of one of these. Not all that easy to set up. And not weather proof. I sprayed these down with "Camp Dry" and it really helped in light rain. However for gun hunting, these smaller blinds are OK.

If you are going to hunt public land where there is a good chance someone else may stumble by or set-up relatively near, I'd suggerst that you tie 2-3 or so pieces of "hunter orange" cloth to the top of the blind. Deer will not see it. Hunters should.
I have 4 of the Amistep DogHouse blinds and 2 are nearly 10 yrs old. Workn great. The only way they leak are on the tie straps on the inside of the roof. Rain follows them and drips on my head or lap depending on where I am sitting within it. Cheaper than Double Bull blinds.
If leaving them up is a problem overnight or weekend, just take them down fold/wrap up and stash in a brush pile near and camo in good off a beaten trail or path on to found by you at a later date or day. We do this on several public places and have yet to loose one, YET!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That'll work fine. Heck, I've taken deer just by finding a good spot and "hunkering down" in the branches in the nearest downed tree (taking account wind direction, of course). Any decent brush pile will do.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Spike

Smile

When gun hunting i usully use my turkey seat and place some brush in front of me and lean up against a large diameter tree.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a hunting umbrella.Works great just stick it in front of you and have a seat with my back next to a tree.