HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what is needed to bow hunt whitetail deer in wisconsin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/368223-what-needed-bow-hunt-whitetail-deer-wisconsin.html)

jkhunter98 08-03-2012 03:09 PM

what is needed to bow hunt whitetail deer in wisconsin

What is everything I need to bow hunt whitetails in Wisconsin.

natimage 08-03-2012 09:23 PM

As in licenses or equipment? Licenses you just need to buy a deer tag which will be about $24 or so if your a resident. Just make sure you know what unit you hunt in so you know if it's a buck only unit or if you can shoot doe or buck...luckily they got rid of earn-a-buck so you don't have to worry about that.

Valentine 08-05-2012 04:55 AM

It just depends

... on how much you can charge on your credit cards, after watching all those hunting shows on cable and checking the buys on the internet.

It seems like it's getting like the cost of a college education.

MZS 08-06-2012 07:17 PM

Know the laws, as mentioned - get a rule book and read it carefully. And if you hunt on state forest lands, really watch your step - take your case with you so your bow is cased up if you are walking to the vehicle and shooting hours are over.

No baiting in much of the state. And limits on areas you can bait such as no baiting til the day before season starts and a 2 gal limit (2 gal total per AREA).

Otherwise, I think it would be very similar to other states. Find a person that hunts and have them help you with equipment.

nckrump 08-07-2012 05:03 PM

Wisconsin untie

Hunting Wisconsin used to be easyer but in the past years its become a challenge finding good deer to shoot. If your looking at equipment check craigslist for stuff i picked up a 2010 parker wild fire bow and five carbon arrows for $150 clothing i usually try to wait till february or march once all seasons are over and u can get stuff a little cheaper. Check the Wisconsin dnr web site it can give u a list of public hunting grounds

ihookem1 08-09-2012 04:50 PM

It's more than a challenge finding good deer to shoot. It is rare to see a deer a day in northern Wisconsin over a gun season.

CarrieZ 08-13-2012 03:00 PM

You asked “what is everything I need to bow hunt whitetails in Wisconsin”.
I am going to assume you are from out of state, even if you are a resident these tips can apply to you as well.

#1. A legal hunting license. A general resident license will cost $24.00, non-resident is $160.00 (a steal for the leading trophy state). You can get additional unlimited doe tags for $2.00 if you hunt the right areas.

#2. Somewhere to hunt. If you do not have private land to hunt on you will need to find quality public land - yes there’s actually a ton of it. Almost 50% of the record book bucks taken in the last 5 years have come from public land.

I successfully hunt public exclusively, one of my all-time favorite past times is looking for that “new place to hunt”. One of the draws to public land for me is the need to try new places. Hooray for Google! All you have to do is go to Google Maps, search around for the green segments and zoom in a little; they will be listed as State Natural Areas or Public hunting Land, once you’ve found a few you can check them out on the DNR website to see if it’s suitable for the type of hunting you prefer. Most State Natural Areas are groomed and managed for hunting purposes.

It is a bit more challenging and you do have to know the rules, I hunt CWD - simply because that’s where the deer are. I could care less if it’s a buck or a doe, you said “what is everything I need to bow hunt whitetails in Wisconsin”, you did not specify trophy hunting so the lower ½ of the state is going to be the most beneficial.

Many state parks allow hunting during the late season. Seriously prime hunting, those deer are barely pressured, they eat well and are somewhat used to humans. I know a guy that took a 170” out of Devil’s Lake two years ago in December.

#3. Equipment. While the fancy, expensive equipment can give you a leg up, hunt with basic equipment can yield just as many kill shots.

Bow - buy the best bow you can afford, if you buy used, I would suggest having the bow looked at by a professional for cracks or stress fissures. The last thing you want to do is buy a bow only to have it explode in your face when you shoot it. Depending on your budget, there are some spectacular bows out there at a mid-point, check out Mission Archery or Quest. My first bow was a Parker Wildfire, nckrump got a steal for $150.00. Check consignment shops too. Or even just call an archery shop and let them know you’re looking for a nice used bow for $$$ amount of dollars.

Arrows - once you’ve determined your draw length you can search on EBay or Craig’s List, I highly suggest carbon if you can afford them.

Camo - if you’re not a brand whore you can find killer deals on camo at farm stores like Fleet Farm. If you are a brand whore (and I admittedly am!) checking classifieds on forums can yield inexpensive deals in the pattern you’re looking for. I’ve used Ebay and Google Shopping to find my Realtree AP at a steal sometimes.

Scent - I’ve never really worried about purchasing overpriced garments that claim they can block my scent from the most wily mature bucks. I just carry some Dead Down Wind with me.

Guides - if you’re going to go with a guide - DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Seriously, there are some really good ones that don’t charge an arm and a leg and some really bad ones that will charge you your first born.

That’s really about it - other than a good attitude (it’s called hunting not killing for a reason) normal whitetail hunting skill. I’m sure anyone on the forums would be happy to answer additional questions or help you out with whatever you need.
Good luck!!

UPHunter08 08-14-2012 07:28 AM

To add to the suggestion of finding public land, contact the WDNR office in the area where you want to hunt and ask them for the location of all MFL (Managed Forest Land) properties in that area. MFL land is private land that gets a tax break for both active forest management (periodic logging) and keeping it open to the public for hunting. You can't find that on Google, so you need to go to the DNR to get the listings for an area. Once of my prized honey-holes is a hidden-away parcel of MFL land that very few others know about...not everyone knows to go looking for it because they're unaware of the MFL program. ;)

jkhunter98 08-14-2012 11:19 PM

I am not from out of state I have never bow hunted before I have only gone gun hunting

UPHunter08 08-15-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jkhunter98 (Post 3960583)
I am not from out of state I have never bow hunted before I have only gone gun hunting

The best advise is to practice, practice, practice. Also, learn as much as you can about shot placement. I know someone that recently transitioned to bow hunting from gun hunting, and they just assumed that they could take any shot with a bow (any angle) that they would with a gun. And they lost a deer because of it.

Otherwise, what are you specifically looking for in this thread? The original question is really vague.