Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do deer like thick swamps

Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default do deer like thick swamps

i have some pretty thick swamps full of moss blueberry bushes and white pine and Tamarack. would that bee an ideal place to hunt i also seen a few trails and 1 rub.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

a few deer trails
Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

You dang betcha! Find a couple good trails and set some treestands up in the tamaracks at various spots to watch them depending on the wind, as they make good cover to hunt up in the air and watch big areas.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

First deer I killed was back in 1962 .... on an acorn flat in the midst of a several hu ndred acre cypress swamp in SE Louisiana. White tails definitely will cruise swamp land .... as long as there is decent browse year round, and it helps to have an acorn crop come fall/winter. They prefer to bed in dry area, so look for what I refer to as "flats" .... areas up out of the water ... for bedding areas. If you can find a nice trail to-from these bedding areas usually it works to set up where you can watch that trail.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there's a swamp, i'll hunt it no matter what! Not sure what kind of Winter you have but here in northern Wisconsin the deer love them because there warm and keep outta the snow! Good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wisbowhunter2009
If there's a swamp, i'll hunt it no matter what! Not sure what kind of Winter you have but here in northern Wisconsin the deer love them because there warm and keep outta the snow! Good luck
ya i live in north east wi
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Spike

Yea deer love them thick swamps find out where they are feeding and put out a blind or treestand because they aint coming there for nothing.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a guy on here, I'm not sure what his screen name is that made a DVD about hunting swamp, public land swamps just as well. I've heard from numerous people that the DVD helped them kill some big swamp bucks. Hopefully he'll chime in here, Dan is his name.

The best thing to do is find the thickest area with a little bit of highland in it and set up there. I've never hunted swamps but have a pair of waders just in case I need them to hunt. You'd be surprised how many people won't cross a creek to hunt and those are the spots the deer know they are safe.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, big deer like the thickest places. I bow hunt especially in late season in thick places. I don't cut shooting lanes because when push comes to shove, you only need a saucer size space to drop a deer.

Don't know where to hunt? Use your first trip as a scouting trip. Pick a best guess spot, set up and wait. Going in cold can be some of your best hunts because you get to observe how deer react in their own enviorment undisturbed even if you never get a shot.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

A swamp, here in Northwest Tn., is golden. Of the last 3 bucks that the Good Lord has allowed me to take, came from the same swamp. Word to the wise, early season invest in a good pair of snake boots. It was warm enough here the first week of December that my hunting partner and I walked up on a very slow moving cottonmouth. I like to see a few patches of 3 to 6 inches of water patches spread out. If you can locate an island or a high spot between them, at least set up where can watch it. Another plus is there is not a lot of human foot traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.