Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best deer hunting shot gun

Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
The Savage 220 in my opinion is the best slug gun around right now. I've even been tempted to buy one and there are no regulations requiring a shotgun where I hunt.
they hold 1" groups at 100 yards, plus they look sick.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would vote for the classic Remington 870 12GA. Put a rifled slug barrel on it and get out there with it. Drop it in the mud, drag it through the dirt, pick it up and it'll still fire and still be accurate.

Everybody owns an 870. It's a rule...
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by government_cheese
they are on sale at bass pro this weekend. Im very tempted to pick one up despite already owning a 20 ga USH with a leupold 2-7. I don't think it will do anything differently then what I already have, but I've heard great things about them
Any details on that sale, couldn't find any on the BassPro website. I'm in the market for one.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

H&r 12 gauge
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I myself use a 870 WingMaster 12 ga pump with a slug barrel.Never had any problems killing a deer with it .
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
I would vote for the classic Remington 870 12GA. Put a rifled slug barrel on it and get out there with it. Drop it in the mud, drag it through the dirt, pick it up and it'll still fire and still be accurate.

Everybody owns an 870. It's a rule...

I agree, it was the first gun I owned that wasn't a hand me down from my father. I bought it 18 years ago. It has been worn in perfect with hundreds of miles of small game hunting. Now it is solely my deer gun. I could buy a nicer slug gun, but it kills deer just as good as any other good and with how it is worn in, it just looks like a deer gun. I guess im sentimental towards it, but I think a lot of 870s are sentimental guns to their owners.

As a .38 for deer, it's been mentioned enough that its not a good deer gun. No need to beat a dead horse.