Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New bow sight

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default New bow sight

New to the Huntingnet Forum, I am an experienced bow hunter, but I will always admit there is something new to learn, I believe when that stops, it's time to quit. To my question, I have been using a Keller Pendelum Bow sight, probably since they came out. I have come to the conclusion that it's time for a fixed pin sight. What is the best moderately priced sight out there that someone would recommend ?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

Tru glow make a good one .There are so many that will work good in the 75-150 dollar range.I just put the new AXT Primal on and like it alot so far.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'm leaning toward the new Extreme 1150 Bone Collector, not for the name, just that I like the small size. I like for the ring to just fill up my peep, and I use a smaller peep. Anybody got any info on this sight ?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Spike

I have a Spott Hogg-Hunter and love it. It is really durable and in the 3 years of using it nothing has broke or malfunctioned. I hunt in the cold Michigan winters and always had trouble with the fiber optics breaking. The Spott-Hogg sights are all very good, however, the cheapest one is around $90. Check out Ebay you may be able to find one that is less expensive. I have also been told by several of the archery shop guys that Sur-Loc sights are really nice. Not sure how much those are but I believe they are also a bit pricey.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks brodyb51, some other kinda crap messages showed up, not sure what's going on there, but thanks. Friend of mine has the Spot Hogg as well. I'll check them out a little closer. Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Spike

I'd recommend an hha single pin sight. I have one and love it. As long as you don't forget to adjust your yardage before the shot, it's a fool proof sight. Also, you can adjust it to any random yardage you want. Not just your fixed 20 30 40 etc yard pin. For example, a 45 yard shot, you simply set it between your 40 and 50 marks. I'm sure this explanation was excessive but I hope it helps.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second the HHA slider. Great sights and Great CS.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

TruGlo Micro Brite sight. good middle of the way hunting sight. quality

right now i am using a Sword Twilight Hunter sight. its a good sight too.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Well, a lot has changed in the last few days. I have hunted with an Archery Research AR34, for the last 6 years. A friend made an offer to buy it, with my current set up, and open mouth insert foot, I priced it and he bought it. So, I bought a PSE Drury Bow Madness XS, and was given a good deal on a Toxonics 3 pin sight. I couldn't pass it up. Did I mess up ? Seems like a real solid sight, very bright, all metal. Alpine Soft Lok quiver, QAD rest. what about it ?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tons of choices for sure. Going from the old Keller style pedelum sight to a fixed sight I don't think will be an issue. Just may take a while practicing to sort of get the feel of not having a bit of "distance" compensation that a pendelum can provide.

I would be careful attempting to use more than 3 sight pins. For me a sight picture becomes mighty crowded mopre than 3 pins. In fact when I hunted with a bow, I used a single pin ... probably for 20+ years. Usually with three pins, and plenty of practice it is rather easy to cover the kill zone from out to 40-45 yards.

I gather from your use of a Keller that you hunt from an elevated position most of the time. I suggest that you practice with the fixed pin sight from an elevated set-up as well.

I'd chose a bright, fiber optic sight. Be careful to examine the design carefully for ruggedness.

I have found that the "red" will fade out sooner in low light than green or yellow. So if you are going to use multi color, which I suggest for ease of selecting the correct pin quickly in the field, I'd use the "brightest" for the most "usual" distance .... which I'd think would be your 20 yard pin. Could just be my eyes, so test which color is brightest for your No. 1 use pin color.

Also I found a large peep more suited for hunting conditions. The larger diameter allows more light and that counts late in the p.m. down in the deep woods! Some folks prefer the small diameter peeps. It is just a matter of personal preference.

I am not a fan of "distance adjusting sights" because eventuially there will come a situation when you will not have the luxury of enough time to be able to make an accurate distance read and tweak the adjustment. Another issue is that if you hunt in snowiy/icy conditions, these can ice over making it tough to break free quickly and quietly so that you can make the adjustment. Plus these present one more level of complexity. I am not bashing these type sights. They work great for sure, but my preference is towards simple and rugged.

One thing you will notice going away from the Keller is the pin sight will be a ton quieter. All of the Kellers that I have experience with had a rather substantial "rattle" on release due to the pivot pin, swing frame design.

Good luck and have a great season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.