Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

canadian buck

Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

looks like a fallow to me as well, although most fallow bucks have more mass though...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Spike

After reading a bunch of posts of people mentioning fallow I did some Googling and I am positive it is a fallow deer.

Here is a link to some nice fallow bucks that look very similar to the rack my old man has in his possession.
http://www.shuttermoments.ca/moments/moments04.htm
picture is from a farm in BC area

And also did a search on average weight of fallow and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallow_Deer

Which it pretty much says the largest bucks can weigh in at 330 lbs. and also mentions different types of fallow...which I would strongly believe it would have been the "Melanistic (Black) : All year black shading to greyish-brown. No light-colored tail patch or spots." just by looking at rack and build of the bucks in the first link above from BC.

Thanks to all for your time and thoughts!!

(me) --- (you guys)
Attached Thumbnails canadian buck-4.jpg   canadian buck-2.jpg   canadian buck-5.jpg  

Last edited by vabeachguy; 07-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a fallow deer, a pretty good one as well. They are in general the same size as a whitetail which is why the skull looks so similar. Google Fallow deer and you'll be able to see a lot of similarities.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I thought when I first saw the pic was a Fallow deer.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yea its a fallow. and it was found in a 10' high barb wire fence? be carefull with this one, thats an exotic off a ranch I bet. And the owner is probably not to happy someone else has it. Just saying
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Yea its a fallow. and it was found in a 10' high barb wire fence? be carefull with this one, thats an exotic off a ranch I bet. And the owner is probably not to happy someone else has it. Just saying
My friend is a friend of the property owner and they were cruising around his property and stumbled on this, which was basically all bones with little carcass so he let him take the rack for whatever reason, which in turn he sent to me for a trade of VA venison jerky (small USPS flat rate box full).
He had it stuffed in the corner of his garage for sometime, his wife didn't want nothing to do with it in HER house.
So he sent it to a place where it would be more appreciated..my old man's house.
He honestly believed it was just a big whitetail. And so did I and my dad at first..until I came to you guys..the real experts...on what this guy really is.

So...yea..that's my story pretty much off the top of my head...

All good.

Last edited by vabeachguy; 07-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vabeachguy

My friend is a friend of the property owner and they were cruising around his property and stumbled on this, which was basically all bones with little carcass so he let him take the rack for whatever reason, which in turn he sent to me for a trade of VA venison jerky (small USPS flat rate box full).
He had it stuffed in the corner of his garage for sometime, his wife didn't want nothing to do with it in HER house.
So he sent it to a place where it would be more appreciated..my old man's house.
He honestly believed it was just a big whitetail. And so did I and my dad at first..until I came to you guys..the real experts...on what this guy really is.

So...yea..that's my story pretty much off the top of my head...

All good.

And this came from a (HIGH) fence in Canada, A ten foot barb wire fence? If you said Texas, I would believe you!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
And this came from a (HIGH) fence in Canada, A ten foot barb wire fence? If you said Texas, I would believe you!
We have them here in Michigan. They just outlawed Wild Boars. But, deer etc. Are still around. Some of these get loose, one way or another.

ATB