Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions about blinds.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Questions about blinds.

So I've never hunted from a pop up blind before, and always hunted from a homemade wooden tripod blind. I'm now hunting a new location where it isn't practical to build a stand, so I'm looking at other options. I plan to buy a climbing stand as I borrowed one a few times last year and loved it. However, I also have a friend that I'd like to have hunt with me, and there is no way he can make it up a tree in a climbing stand.

I'm thinking of purchasing one of the doghouse blinds. Anyone used these? are they big enough for two people? Do they hold up to the weather? I'd like something that I could put out in a couple of weeks and leave out for 5-6 months.

Do they tend to scare the big deer off? I'm really hesitant to set one up because I've been getting a lot of pictures of some mature bucks, but it seems like they are really skiddish when they come out. They don't come out for days if I go in to check the trail camera. I'm thinking a blind that all of a sudden appears may scare them off for good. Or will they get used to it? I'm thinking if I'm going to set one up, I need to do it now so that they have 2 months to get used to it. Should I stay away from this, or will they get used to it in that time?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

if you plan on leaving it out for 5-6 months,
i would fabricate my own,
sticks and branches for support, and using better quality camo fabric,
at the end of the 5-6 months sticks can be left behind and just pack out the fabric.
fabric on most blinds is very cheap,
problem i have with pop ups is i could never pop them down and close them,
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Spike

OK answer me this were do you hunt OPEN fields / Open hardwoods / Thick cover / ceader swamps?

I do hunt out of Ground Blinds exclusivly, let me know about were you are and I will help you out if I can.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Where this one is going I will be hunting open fields. I will set it up right at the edge of the woods and have it looking out into the open field.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

The dog house blind that I am aware of would be to cramped for 2 people. Not even enough room to shoot a bow well. You should be able to find a decent blind fairly reasonably.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

like hd montana said the doghouse blinds would be too cramped with two people. you also have troubles drawing bow back in them. windows are also too small. use to own one, not anymore. i use the hub style blinds or i make my own with stciks and branches.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get yourself one of these and put it up ASAP and it will do fine for two people. I've got two of them and there is enough room for two adults with no problems as I've had someone else in them with me a number of times with no problem. They are well made for the money and come in their own backpack.
http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Spike

They will hold two people but will have holes in them if you leave them that long.And as far as the deer,set it up a week or two before you want to hunt there and they will be used to it by then.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Spike

I hunt on farm land and I build my own that lasts years. buy some two buy four's and build a two to a three man blind it will just take a few days
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

The Doghouse spring steel blind is just 60" sq/ w/68" ceiling height in the very center. Not really a lot of room. They also have the Outhouse blind, which has just a bit more room at 68" sq/ w/78" ceiling height. Neither of these will withstand the time period you plan to leave them out. The material is too thin. The outhouse is the cheaper of the two. They also have The Penthouse Spring steel, that is quite a bit larger at 78" sq x 90" tall. Looks really nice, but the price is considerably more.

Your other option for larger blinds, would be going with hub-style. If you go this route, you want to make sure you get the thicker canvas type material. It may stand up to 6 mos. in the weather. (personally, I would never leave one out that long, as the sun will deteriorate it prematurely). The cost for these will be more, but can last years longer.

Just got a BassPro flyer in the mail, and they have a bunch on sale, of both types. A 1 day sale on Aug 10, has a True Timber spring steel blind for just 50 bucks. Heck get 2 and each hunt out of one.

Making your own blind is an easy thing to do, with a hand saw and pair of clippers. I prefer to dress mine with cedar clippings to help conceal scent.

As for building with purchased timber, you can do something very easy. Just build the framework to the size you would like. Put a plywood roof on it to keep the rain off. Then dress the outside with Camo Burlap. At shooting level, cut holes in the burlap to see and shoot through.

Whatever type you decide to go with, be sure to brush it in well for concealment and scent control. (use cedar if available) Putting it out a week prior to hunting is ample time for them to get used to it, unless you are building something on the spot with purchased timber. The trick is to get in and back out with as little disturbance of the area as possible.

Hope this helps you. Let us know what you go with.