Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Interested in getting an H&R Ultra Slug. >

Interested in getting an H&R Ultra Slug.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interested in getting an H&R Ultra Slug.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can use either 2-3/4" or 3"
Old 12-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Recoil

Recoil - Shmecoil. For some reason, recoil does not bother me unless I'm shooting trap/skeet/clays, etc.

The onesy-twosey on a hunt is zero consideration for me.

I'd choose the 12.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cjweckesser
Hey fellas just bought an Ultraslug 12g. Just got one question Can 2 and 3/4 in slugs be shot from this gun or does it have to be 3" ?
I shoot Remington Core Lokt 12ga. in 2 3/4", they shoot the best for me.. I have found that each gun is particular to different ammo. Each gun likes different ammo, most of my hunting buddies have H&R's and each one likes a different ammo.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RyanVT
I have the 12 gauge it deffiently has alot of kick. Im having trouble getting it to eject some shells tho..? other then that I love the gun took 3 deer with it last year first year I had it

H.ave you tried putting a couple drops of gun oil down in the ejector?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Spike

I've got an H&R USH 20g, gun is far more accurate than I will ever sight it in off the bags and there is absolutely no change in impact when I freehand it. I've only killed 3 deer with it, doe at 100, dink 8 at 40 and a 130 10 at 75ish, all went less than a 100 yds and bled like stuck pigs. Shooting 3" Winchester Dual Bonds.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Spike

Go my Ultra Slug today in 20. It has the Bushnell Trophy scope on it. Bought used, shot 16 times. Practically brand new.
I'm going to give it to my 12 year old daughter.
We cant wait to shoot it. Well built, inexpensive gun.

Liking the challenge of only one shot. It will assist in teaching my daughter the importance of practice, accuracey and sportamanship.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on the new toy. Good luck with it to you both
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camo Mike
Go my Ultra Slug today in 20. It has the Bushnell Trophy scope on it. Bought used, shot 16 times. Practically brand new.
I'm going to give it to my 12 year old daughter.
We cant wait to shoot it. Well built, inexpensive gun.

Liking the challenge of only one shot. It will assist in teaching my daughter the importance of practice, accuracey and sportamanship.
Just be very clear on telling her about the importance of not getting her eye too close to the scope, for if she gets hit by the scope, I will almost 100% guarantee that you just lost a hunting partner!!!!
Just put it on the lowest magnification setting possible for her first few shots and let her see you shoot it first to see the recoil possible with such a weapon, minimal as it may be to you, so she knows what is going to happen when she pulls the trigger. Let her shoot it first with some light birdshot loads to get used to it before hand would be even better.

Last edited by SecondChance; 06-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RyanVT
What happens is I shoot and break the action open and the shell won't eject sometimes. I've tried cleaning it really well and everything but it hasn't fixed the problem. Any ideas?

Not too unusual to see shells not being ejected. The USH's are great guns offered at a great price. I guess where they saved some $ in manufacturing was in assembly. Small bits of machined metal have been found in some USH's in the ejector area as well as some ejector's that are just a little too fat.

I have taken care of all of my USH's ejectors.

Unfortunately this IS common - fortunately the fix is easy.

Just spray cleaning without disassembly is not the answer. You have to take it apart.

Drive the pin out that retains the ejector. Be careful as it is obviously spring loaded. Make sure you don't loose the spring.

Once apart clean it all out with a good solvent and the ejector, too. LOOK INTO THERE WITH A LIGHT AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT IN THERE. I have a bunch of USHs and they have all been cleaned out. None acted up and needed it but when I heard of the issue I did it as preventative. I recommend laying the ejector on a fine flat file or maybe even a sharpening stone and working both sides about 40-50 reps to assure it is plenty smooth before reassembly. Once the solvent is totally evaporated and all the parts are 100% dry, coat the spring with a thin film of light gun oil (rust preventative) and assemble with just the slighest bit of light gun oil on the ejector. Oil from the spring will keep things sufficiently lubed for years to come.

If you put a BB under the spring it will increase the pop of the ejector (alot).
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see 0 reason to hunt deer with a 12ga slug gun now that I use a 20ga Savage 220.

less recoil is nice, but almost non-existent in my decision to now shoot the 20ga over the 12ga.

Saying you like the extra power of the 12ga over the 20ga is like saying you prefer to deer hunt with a .375 or .458 over a .270

I mostly see it as a masculine peeing contest among Man-boys.

But then again if you plan to slug deer at over 200yds, well maybe then you should get the 12ga, but 200yds with my 20ga is plenty far for me. Plus I feel my 20ga is way more accurate at 200yds than any 12ga is, but I'm sure others would argue differently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.