Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
best places to hunt during the early mornings >

best places to hunt during the early mornings

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best places to hunt during the early mornings

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default best places to hunt during the early mornings

ok i been hunting for 12 years and when i think i figure out these deer they go total other direction im trying to find a great morning spot im not near and crops or anything no food plots i live in souther new jersey
Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Spike

so your hunting hardwoods im guesing? Thats all my land is. I just find some heavily used trails and throw a camera on it to figure out which direction they are traveling and set a stand accordingly. I also look for white oaks and bedding areas and set up between them if possible and hunt it when the wind is right.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to hunt near bedding areas in the morning...If there is a food source nearby, so much the better...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bone_driven
so your hunting hardwoods im guesing? Thats all my land is. I just find some heavily used trails and throw a camera on it to figure out which direction they are traveling and set a stand accordingly. I also look for white oaks and bedding areas and set up between them if possible and hunt it when the wind is right.
i just needto figure it out its a very big piece of land so not relly sure where these deer are laying and stuff
Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself an aerial view of the hunting property. A "Google Map" satellite view should suffice. And a topo map.

Using these start scouting and scout as much as you can between now and hunting season. Look for oak trees, paying attention especially to if (or not) there are remains of last year's acorn caps. Deer down this way love white oaks and chestnut oaks. Try to find these. Ease around along the edges of woods roads, fence lines, thickets looking for the ends of the fresh vines and bush to be snipped off. Deer are a browser, not a grazer. They'll meander along nibbling here and there, filling their cud stomach with fresh forbs.

Also if you have creeks on the place, walk as much of the length of these as you can, looking for crossings. "Traditional" crossings will show up rather vividly as a beaten down path. Also look for last year's rubs .... they'll show up as scars no rather than really stand out. Use the topo map to find natural terrain funnels and ridges. Deer down here like to travel the draws and the hillsides ..... about 1/2 the way down the ridges. Some times they will cruise the finger crowns as they go to-from food and bedding.

As for locating bedding areas ... I don't mess with this so much because there is just too much area where I hunt that is prime for bedding. I stay on the food sources and path ways.

Find out when the does in that area usually come into estrus. Then be hunting as often as you can for about 2 weeks prior to and through that traditional time.

Works pretty good for me down this way.