HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best Place to Hunt In Northern, VA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/367752-best-place-hunt-northern-va.html)

coreyshaw 07-19-2012 05:32 PM

Best Place to Hunt In Northern, VA

I live in Lorton, VA. It's about 15 miles directly south of DC. I am looking for a good place to hunt deer that doesn't require 'knowing a guy' or anything like that.
I went along as a spectator on a couple bow hunts last season on Ft. Belvoir Army Base. Firstly, much of the hunting areas will be closed there this season. We had a nasty storm come through this time last year and damaged some sewage lines on base throughout some of the hunting areas. Apparently the new CO of the base has no interest in hunting and has put repairs on the back burner. Last season, Ft. Belvoir only got something like 22 deer across the entire season. Also, it is strictly bow hunting and I plan to use my slug gun this season.
The other option I know of is Marine Corps. Base Quantico. The only problem I have with that is I have heard from MANY people that Quantico is very over hunted. My boss hunts there and he says he always gets stuck in the hunting area next to the live fire range ha.
Anyone have any other places they know of? Preferably not TOO far away from where I am.

ALSO! I drive a Nissan Juke and unfortunately have no access to a truck. I DO plan to field dress my deer after I get it but anyone have any tips on how to transport a deer in a smaller SUV?

Vulture6 07-21-2012 09:55 AM

Corey - check out Phelps and Thompson wildlife management areas; they aren't that far from where you are. Phelps can get crowded on Saturdays. Thompson has some isolated terrain if you are willing to hike. I'd suggest trying weekdays if you can get the time off.

Fort A.P. Hill is another option for you.

Does your Juke have a trailor hitch? If so, you can get a cooler rack (or whatever they are called) and carry your deer that way, or just wrap it up in a tarp and put it in the back of your vehicle.

Good luck!

Valentine 07-23-2012 11:08 AM

You have some problems in North Virginia

You have picked the wrong place to hunt and know virtually no place to hunt instate. It's not only a metro area, it has many new residents looking for their new place to hunt and fish.

A recommendation. Do it yourself. Use the internet and search -hunting Virginia. Read and find locations on a map.
Every free location is listed, whether it is military, state game lands, national forest, refuges, or army corps of engineer land.

Find all the free areas in North Virginia. Check all of the wildlife management areas in north Virginia. Set how far from your residence you will travel. The closest place might just be the worst place to select. Another place might be closer and not hunted because of difficulties. Difficulties a newbie, of course, wouldn't want to face.

How much of a newbie are you? Can you scout and hunt a new area? Will you hunt alone? How are you with a compass and gps? Are you in shape for steeper climbs? A lot of unanswered questions on what kind of hunting you can do

Years ago I ran into some people from Washington, who fished in Pennsylvania. They told nobody where they fished, even in Pennsylvania. And I mean nobody.

Good luck. You will need it.

coreyshaw 07-24-2012 05:35 PM

When it comes to Wildlife management areas, can you just walk onto the land and start hunting when you find a spot or do you have to register or anything? I looked a couple up and it gave some info on what hunting is available but no info on how to hunt on the land.

Stonewall308 07-25-2012 07:04 AM

The best hunting is going to be on private land, as it usually is in every state. You can find a lease or join a hunt club. If you want to hunt public land, that info is freely available via google search.