HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Moving to Michigan from Louisiana (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/367695-moving-michigan-louisiana.html)

BUCKAHOLIC 07-18-2012 08:20 AM

Moving to Michigan from Louisiana

there is a good chance that I will be moveing to Traverse city, MI. , I am in the oil and gas industry and am opening a new office there. I have never lived outside of LA. I would love to know all about the hunting, tips on how, where, gear, local standards, best areas, do's and don'ts. Any information would be helpful, maybe even a local to show me around. Thanks.

firelt72 07-18-2012 09:48 AM

I can tell you this you will fall in love with the outdoors in Michigan. It is one of the most wonderful states I have ever been too. Hunting and fishing are part of the fabric of life there. I am not sure on the regs and such, but the bad side is they have winter there....really they have snow and cold.

Robow45 07-18-2012 12:08 PM

Welcome!

As said above the outdoors is a big part of life up here. The great thing is everyone hunts! The bad thing is EVERYONE hunts! Try to secure some private land if you plan on gun hunting the opener 11.15. There is a lot of state and federal land but I would never get near it during gun season. The regular archery season starts October 1 and isn’t as bad. Good luck!

Bocajnala 07-18-2012 12:10 PM

Welcome to the Northern Winters!! I have no experience in Michigan, but I'm a close neighbor in Ohio. Cold and Snow, big change for you. Can't help ya much on the hunting part, but I've heard good things and some good deer come from michigan every year.
-Jake

Bocajnala 07-18-2012 12:11 PM

Double Post.

marquismarc 07-18-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robow45 (Post 3952638)
As said above the outdoors is a big part of life up here. The great thing is everyone hunts! The bad thing is EVERYONE hunts! Try to secure some private land if you plan on gun hunting the opener 11.15. There is a lot of state and federal land but I would never get near it during gun season. The regular archery season starts October 1 and isn’t as bad. Good luck!

what he said, There are a ton of hunters in this state.

BUCKAHOLIC 07-19-2012 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info, yea I won't know how to act in the snow, it will be different for sure.

Zim 07-19-2012 08:53 AM

buckaholic, I'll likely get beat down by someone, but the fact of the matter is you'd be moving from one of the worst deer management states to the 2nd worst. That is not to say there aren't lots of deer there, but with two rifle buck tags/hunter/season in prime rut = bucks rarely see 2nd year. Just have to adpot if it's brown it's down mentality. That is why I see so many MI & LA plates in western IL every year.

FlDeerman 07-19-2012 09:31 AM

All I can say is "I'm sorry".lol

Topgun 3006 07-19-2012 09:33 AM

Can't argue with the mismanagement statement, but the main rut is pretty well over most years before the rifle season opens on 11/15. Prime time for the rut up here is during bow season the first half of the month. The two buck regulation is with a bow and/or gun and it used to be 4, so at least we moved in the right direction there.