Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Storing your deer after the hunt >

Storing your deer after the hunt

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Storing your deer after the hunt

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Storing your deer after the hunt

I am going to be hunting on my In-laws property in southern Indiana this gun season and I am trying to decide the best way to store my deer after I shoot them. I have 3 tags and will likely be hunting for at least 5 days before I come back home to Illinois. They have a small little gagrage I could probably use.

Normally when I am at our deer camp in Illinois I hang the deer and just pack it with bags of ice until I can bring it back home to process. but if I am by myself could I just put the deer in a horse trough and put ice on it? or is it really important to hang the deer?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hang them in the shade with the hide off in game bags and they'll be fine unless it gets pretty warm. If it gets well into the 50s or higher for any length of time, then I'd think seriously of doing the ice thingy in the trough.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default storing deer

With this current weather pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if you got some 70 degree days in Novemeber. Just in case I'd do some searching for a deer butcher close by to where you are hunting. See if they will let you hang your deer till you are ready to go, they should be able to work something out, such as quartering it for you for the trip home, or just letting it hang in their cold box. Statistics show the most success in the first two days of gun season. I hate to have you harvest a deer only to have it spoil or end up as a clump of maggots.
good hunting. take pictures. post some reports.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

jstgsn gives good advice. If the weather is cool enough just let them hang. As long as you are in the lower 40s or below that should be ok. If they have a garage, keep it open at night and close it up during the day, so it'll keep the cooler temp. I have a building I use that'll keep in the 40s all day even if it goes up to around 60 in the daytime. I may be extra lucky when it comes to that though. If the weather is warm, you can try and use a butchers cooler. I know some guys that do that around where I live. They pay 10 bucks to hang a deer up for the week. THat may be your best option.
-Jake
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every time i see one of those 120 Qt coolers I think to myself that it would be very handy to have along on a hunt away from home in warm weather. A quartered deer would fit pretty easily. May even be room for 2.

Many years ago I hunted in KY, and kept deer in a cooler with dry ice. Worked great. As I recall, I bought the dry ice at a welding supply place.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys. I am hoping it will be cool enough that I can just use the little shed they have and hang them up. But with the weather we have had this year I would not be suprised if it was still in the 70's in November. guess I will just have to have a good back up plan!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Have your in laws check and see if anyone has a walk in cooler in the area you can hang the deer till you go home. They might only charge a samll fee. Then pack ice in the cavity for the ride home. You'll be fine. Good luck
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just cut mine up and put it in a cooler with lots of ice and add more when needed.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends

on how hot or cold it is when you are hunting. Different answer for 90 degree heat and minus zero temps. The more heat; the greater the enemy of good meat.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

All good advice, just remember o check the forecast in advance of your trip and you'll know what to plan for. Some grocery stores carry dry ice. The higher the temps are above 40, the sooner something needs to be done so you don't lose your meat. The best thing to do is just de bone it, if you know how. It really takes very little time, and gets your meat in the cooler with ice. Just drain and add more ice as needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.