HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Fall Plots...Too Early? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/367392-fall-plots-too-early.html)

penninside08 07-09-2012 07:32 PM

Fall Plots...Too Early?

What is the best seed(s) to plant for a fall/winter plot?

Also, does everyone think that it is too early to plant a fall plot towards the end of July? I start college again towards the end of August and wanted to try and get a food plot in so that it would attract deer to it. Just wondering if I put it in towards late July/early August if the deer would have it all eaten by the start of archery season (the plot is going to be about 1 acre).

nchawkeye 07-09-2012 10:45 PM

Kinda hard to tell not knowing where you are located...I'd say for most of the US, yes it's too early...Now, in some area it's late to plant soybeans if you want them to mature but not to attract deer...

With this hot, dry weather going on I sure wouldn't plant here in North Carolina...We plant clover, wheat, oats, etc from mid-September to early November...

salukipv1 07-10-2012 03:11 PM

Had great luck with "NO-Plow" planted late summer/early fall last year. It's an annual though, so grows fast and a lot in 1 year, will last into winter, seems similar to "winter-greens" but they are different I believe.

Jackson Bowner 07-10-2012 04:57 PM

Here in Michigan, I usually plant my plots around the first week of August....depending on what the weather is forecasted to bring. I try to get everything ready..ie weed kill, tilling ahead of time so that when a rain is due within the next day or two, I plant and drag. I usually put down a bag of brassica mix from the Thumb Area QDMA which includes annual rape seed, winter canola, turnips and perrenials like clovers, chicory, and alfalfa. It is a nice blend with lots of different things in it. That gives you an idea of what you might plant late summer and still have a decent food plot. However, the clovers don't really come into their own until the next summer and you can either leave them and have a great clover plot, or start over again. Sometimes I will also stop by Cabelas and get a bag of something else just to throw into the mix. Boy the deer love it and with sufficient rain, the food plots will be 12"-18" high and still going strong on into late December!

Uncle Nicky 07-11-2012 04:47 AM

Hard call, I've done it before without any problems. I've also planted fall plots this early and weeds/grass invaded & choked everything out. Be prepared to spray for grass, if you can't come back or have time to check for weeds, better off waiting a few more weeks.

Brassicas/turnips always seem to bring them in, and often the deer won't hit them until after the first couple frosts.

dbllunged 07-15-2012 09:23 AM

What till there is rain in forecast.

Living in WI in a normal season where we actually get some rain the begining of August is a good time to plant brassicas and clover for the next season. However this year has been very dry. I will wait until there is rain in the forecast to disc and seed. The problem with planting to early is weeds and when it is very dry the seed can get burnt thus will not germinate. Ultimately, for me, rain is the key to growing a successful food plot. G/L

hossdaniels 07-15-2012 09:36 AM

Unless you are far north planting brassicas, it is too early.

marquismarc 07-18-2012 02:40 PM

I usually throw down some seed mid august.

Mojotex 07-21-2012 05:48 PM

Check with your county's USDA extension office or the Ag school in the state in which you. These are great sources of usually free info.

You cano optimize your $$$ by purchasing a food plot crop that is ideal for your area ..... for example, alfalfa is a poor choice for as far south as I hunt, while some of the warmer weather clovers that work great here are a waste of $$$ way up north.

The best blend that we have found for here in SE Alabama costs us about $35 - $40/100# at a local farmer's co-operative. The varieties are all recommended by Auburn Univ. for planting game plots in SE Alabama. It contains 30# wheat, 40# forage oats, 20# grain rye, and 10# clover to which we add 1# of turnip. We plant late September.