Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
owcan i get rid of porcupines eating my deer stand? >

owcan i get rid of porcupines eating my deer stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

owcan i get rid of porcupines eating my deer stand?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default owcan i get rid of porcupines eating my deer stand?

I have a new homemade wood deer stand and i have a porcupine eating the wood. It has paint on it, im wondering if there is anything else i can put on the stand to chase this guy away. I can't shoot him because he's only there at night. What can i put in a havaheart trap for bait? Thank you
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwatts
I have a new homemade wood deer stand and i have a porcupine eating the wood. It has paint on it, im wondering if there is anything else i can put on the stand to chase this guy away. I can't shoot him because he's only there at night. What can i put in a havaheart trap for bait? Thank you
Try a squart bottle with about 4 to 1 mix of bleach.
4 parts water to 1 part bleach.
It should keep him away, and the scent should go way by time deer season opens.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look into the nearby trees during the day. They'll be there. Otherwise shieth corners in metal.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Try a squart bottle with about 4 to 1 mix of bleach.
4 parts water to 1 part bleach.
It should keep him away, and the scent should go way by time deer season opens.

I hope this helps.
thanks, im going to try this.. might also use the sheeting method too. I never took into consideration porcupines would be eating my stand. thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Back in the 70s I had the same problem and I painted mine with creosote, but I don't eve know if that is available any more with all the EPA restrictions in place nowadays. If you have that box trap, I'd use that first and bait it with some salt to see if they will go in after it. I just built a new blind in upper MI with OSB and will be going up in a week or two to cover the whole thing with some scrap steel I got from a pole bulding project down here where I live. It's white, so I'll have to get some spray paint to camo it, but that blind will last forever with no weather or porky damage.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:50 AM
Spike

I have them eating my treestand seats all the time. I go out during the summer at dusk and shoot them with a 410. The only problem is at least where I am it seems like they are endless.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Look into the nearby trees during the day. They'll be there. Otherwise shieth corners in metal.
Yeah they dont go to far. Find them during the day and take them out. I do when I see them so that my dogs dont get them. There is enough of them and they dont have any predators so it wont hurt.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The price some pay

...for not having 24/7 armed guards.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
...for not having 24/7 armed guards.

You only need the "GUARDS" at nite!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

If the bleach and sheeting works, that would be good. If you try to eliminate them, as some have suggested, just be sure it is legal. Sure hate for you to get ticketed for doing something out of season and lose your right to deer hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.