Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Early season

Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default Early season

I'm getting regular pics of at least 2 great bucks hitting feed piles here in central OK. What are the odds of keeping them around til October? Any tips or advice?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

i find that around in the northeast, once acorns start falling they automatically go to them. maybe there are some oaks in your area, where the feed pile is though. ive got quite a few spots set up with different stuff. they just stop using it once acorns start dropping. deer will go through this area and use my spots just not as much as now!! there using my spots on a daily basis now, but they will really slow down once acorns start dropping.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Spike

bigmster127 is right on with what he said. It all depends on what food sources they have and crave at the time Oct. comes around. Seems like when the velvet comes off they smart'in up a little also!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have found in Jersey and Delaware if there are plenty of white oak acorns you can dump 500lbs of corn anywhere and it will be ignored
daddus
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Spike

i highly doubt they will still be around, unless there are apple trees nearby. ive seen big bucks hang around apple trees up until they start chasing does
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by daddus1
I have found in Jersey and Delaware if there are plenty of white oak acorns you can dump 500lbs of corn anywhere and it will be ignored
daddus
make sure you scent free the corn and put it in a natural looking place. few years ago we put corn by a stand to see if it would do anything, a doe came up to the corn, got really scared and hauled ass opposite way.

either it smelled our scent on the corn, or it seen a big pile of corn sitting in the woods randomly, and knew something was out of place. or maybe both.