Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I found Boo Boo bear?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default I found Boo Boo bear?

I purchased 58 acres in Northeast TN recently for hunting purposes. I have been out there clearing paths, bushhogging, planting food plots, and building platform box blinds. I put out cameras the other day and found a cub on a trail i had cleared through some woods.

My questions are as follows. Is momma bear far behind? How do bear affect deer on the property? How do bear affect food plots?

BTW i also got pictures of a six pointer on the same trail as the cub, and at another location about 150 yards away. Ill try to attach pics to post.

I found Boo Boo bear?-065.jpg

I found Boo Boo bear?-087.jpg
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Spike

I personally don't usually see many times when bear in the area affect deer on my cameras. As a matter of fact some of my best spots that I have consistently have bears on the cameras I have out. I pulled a camera card on Sunday and had a mother bear with a cub and a young bear by himself along with dozens of deer photos on the same trail.
I have heard several people say deer, moose and bears don't do well in the same area but here in New Hampshire I see it all the time. The only thing I can think of though would be carrying capacity. If food in the area is scarce, I could see it affecting the deer. You having a food plot set they might beat it up a little but I wouldn't think they would bother it much. Last year we had a good beechnut crop up here and the deer, bear and turkeys were all feeding on them and since the crop was good it didn't seem to affect any of them from staying in the area. Its all in how much food is around really. Hope this helps
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bears play hell on newborn fawns, but I think that's about the only iteraction the two species have.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

And the mama bear would have been near..
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Spike

I pulled a camera card on Sunday and had a mother bear with a cub and a young bear by himself along with dozens of deer photos on the same trail.

Louis Vuitton Outlet
Karen Millen Outlet
Abercrombie & Fitch Wholesale
Mac Cosmetics Outlet
Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I currently have bear, deer, and moose traveling by my trailcam. The deer have been very nervous after the bears have been showing up. All the bears are boars so there is no cubs or yound bears. I had my trail cam attacked by a sow bear with 2 year old cubs before.

Keep in mind that bears are predators and will infact eat a deer if one gets caught by it. Even though they may be seen on a trail cam at different times. The deer are uncomfortable around areas with bear in it. All you need to do is set up a baiting station for bears and the deer will disappear from there until the bears have left and the station has been cleaned up..
Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Spike

I would actually rather not bait the bears. I would just like them to go away. I am plowing food plots next week( sugar beets and turnips) Im more concerned that these crops may keep the bear coming back.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not believe they will be back after those. They may makes a pass threw here and there but that should be about it. They will soon be getting berrys and the like. I do not think you need to be concerned.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Spike

The property has a lot of blackberry's on it. I'm sure they will be coming in for the berry's, which have started to rippen now. If I happen to see on when im hunting Ill have a new head on the wall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.