Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Newbie

Good evening!

This will be my first season hunting and it will be in NH. Since i will be hunting public land I am leaning towards an easy to set up and move blind. tree stand is the number one choice it seems but being my first season hunting and that I am a healthy 320 I think I should keep both feet firmly planted on mother earth. i will be hunting muzzelloadr and regular fire arm season. looking for advice on scouting yhe next few months what i should look for, blinds. you perfer and scent control. Ill be using the search bar for most of my questions but nothing wrong with a new thread right. Thanks for all your help.

Derek
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum, enjoy!
daddus
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome... most of the pop-up doghouse style blinds are relatively light-weight and set in seconds. Look for game trails, preferably near a food or water source and set-up downwind. Once you find a trail with alot of fresh tracks, keep hunting it. Also look for rubs on small trees, and scrapes on the ground. Also bedding areas where the foliage is smashed / wore down. Don't give up on a particular area that shows signs of recent deer activity, you will get one sooner or later. As far as scent control, I usually just hunt downwind whenever possible, though it doesn't always work out that way as I usually hunt from a fixed tree stand. But I do spray myself down with some good scent eliminator, and find it beneficial. I also use some deer scents depending on the time of season. I will use a "drag-rag" with buck or fox urine to cover my trail. When the rut is on I will use scent wicks around my stand location with "doe-in-heat" type urine scents. During the rut, a good grunt tube can bring 'em in. You will want to download some of the different deer grunts and sounds and practice before season. If you use a call don't "overcall" as this can drive deer away. If calling "blind" I will only produce a few short grunts every 20 minutes or so. If I see a buck and want to call it into range, I will give it one short grunt and watch what he does. If he starts to walk away from me, I will grunt again. Even if he seems unaffected by the grunt, he will still likely stay in the area, as they are territorial. There are also doe bleat "can style calls" these can be affective also, though I usually limit most of my calling to grunt tubes during the rut. JUST REMEMBER TO PRACTICE, it's pretty easy to pick up on. I know this is all kinda vague, but it should give you an idea. Good luck this fall!

P.S. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM & I will answer the best I can.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 06-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Welcome... most of the pop-up doghouse style blinds are relatively light-weight and set in seconds. Look for game trails, preferably near a food or water source and set-up downwind. Once you find a trail with alot of fresh tracks, keep hunting it. Also look for rubs on small trees, and scrapes on the ground. Also bedding areas where the foliage is smashed / wore down. Don't give up on a particular area that shows signs of recent deer activity, you will get one sooner or later. As far as scent control, I usually just hunt downwind whenever possible, though it doesn't always work out that way as I usually hunt from a fixed tree stand. But I do spray myself down with some good scent eliminator, and find it beneficial. I also use some deer scents depending on the time of season. I will use a "drag-rag" with buck or fox urine to cover my trail. When the rut is on I will use scent wicks around my stand location with "doe-in-heat" type urine scents. During the rut, a good grunt tube can bring 'em in. You will want to download some of the different deer grunts and sounds and practice before season. If you use a call don't "overcall" as this can drive deer away. If calling "blind" I will only produce a few short grunts every 20 minutes or so. If I see a buck and want to call it into range, I will give it one short grunt and watch what he does. If he starts to walk away from me, I will grunt again. Even if he seems unaffected by the grunt, he will still likely stay in the area, as they are territorial. There are also doe bleat "can style calls" these can be affective also, though I usually limit most of my calling to grunt tubes during the rut. JUST REMEMBER TO PRACTICE, it's pretty easy to pick up on. I know this is all kinda vague, but it should give you an idea. Good luck this fall!
+1 This will help you alot. Great info.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

More advice from an old far*. Rather than specific advice let me offer something a bit different. First and foremost in my book .... put safety absolutely first. You do that and the rest is all good !

Consider that to become a good hunter, one needs to first of all develop the best woodsmanship that they can. Get into the woods early and often. Stay hours on end and learn the sights and sounds. Learn the critters and plants that live where you hunt. Learn how to move with stealth. Become an expert with map and compass. Learn how to track. Etc.

Become an excellent marksman. Know your limitations and those of your weapon. And be satisfied to stay within those limits. This is an "ethics" deal in my book.

Don't get all balled up in the hype of hunting product ads. There are no true short cuts. There are no sure things. Most of the "stuff" is out there to separate you from your hard earned dollar, and that is about it ! If this stuff worked as advertised, we'd all a have a wall full of P&Y or B&C bucks.

Have fun. Believe me you'll get frustrated from time to time. And don't be "disappointed" because yours ain't as big as his!

I'm almost 64. For me it long ago quit being about the kill. It is so much more than that ... you'll see if you hang with it long enough.

Not to sound preachy, but when you kill a deer, be respectful of the life that you just took. The way I figure it, the good Lord breathed about as much life into the deer that I just killed as He did into me.

I hope you have a good season and welcome to this craziness!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the great advice thus far.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
More advice from an old far*. Rather than specific advice let me offer something a bit different. First and foremost in my book .... put safety absolutely first. You do that and the rest is all good !

Consider that to become a good hunter, one needs to first of all develop the best woodsmanship that they can. Get into the woods early and often. Stay hours on end and learn the sights and sounds. Learn the critters and plants that live where you hunt. Learn how to move with stealth. Become an expert with map and compass. Learn how to track. Etc.

Become an excellent marksman. Know your limitations and those of your weapon. And be satisfied to stay within those limits. This is an "ethics" deal in my book.

Don't get all balled up in the hype of hunting product ads. There are no true short cuts. There are no sure things. Most of the "stuff" is out there to separate you from your hard earned dollar, and that is about it ! If this stuff worked as advertised, we'd all a have a wall full of P&Y or B&C bucks.

Have fun. Believe me you'll get frustrated from time to time. And don't be "disappointed" because yours ain't as big as his!

I'm almost 64. For me it long ago quit being about the kill. It is so much more than that ... you'll see if you hang with it long enough.

Not to sound preachy, but when you kill a deer, be respectful of the life that you just took. The way I figure it, the good Lord breathed about as much life into the deer that I just killed as He did into me.

I hope you have a good season and welcome to this craziness!

Very good advice.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex

This is very true!! I feel the same way....
Thank you for posting it!!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Spike

I live out in NH and spend a lot of time in the woods this time of year. I have about 14 stands that I use on all public land and I spend a lot of time putting out cameras and scouting different areas. I don't know more then what I have learned from several years of doing this but I can give you a few pointers.
1. Me personally in New Hampshire I have a hard time using ground blinds, it is just so thick up here especially during bow season and the deer have so many ways of getting around you that it is tough to find the perfect spot. Not saying they don't work, I just prefer tree stands in this part of the country
2. Deer you see this time of year are on a different schedule then they are in a few months, since deer go from feeding on buds to acorns and beechnuts I look for an area where they are now to get photos and usually hunt different areas close by in the season. Another words if you are seeing them now, they may disappear in October but they haven't gone far.
3. You hunt the east, you hunt the least. I spend countless hours in treestands and see good deer only a few times a year. You can get discouraged watching TV then hunting in NH because we just don't have the populations. The big deer are around though, that is why the more cameras and scouting you can do now the better.
4. I particularly like hunting near bedding areas up here, that is where i usually have the most success. Big deer usually hang around swamps and mountain ridges where they feel safe and are able to pick up does and eat without having to leave the area they are comfortable with.

Most important, I wouldn't give up. The great thing about shooting a big deer out here is it feels all that much better knowing how few we have. Find a good area, figure it out and shoot a big one. Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.