Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please wear your harness

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default Please wear your harness

I fell 20ft on 9/1/12 hanging a stand. I broke my right leg in 5 pieces and got compartment syndrome in it. I broke my left ankle and crushed my left heel. I spent 37days in the hospital,2months in a wheelchair, had to learn to walk again. I have lots of hardware in both legs. I haven't been able to go back to work yet and the Dr's say i'm going to hurt for the rest of my life. This has changed my whole life. So please evryone everytime you go up a tree put on your saftey harness.Please wear your harness-0904111443.jpg

Please wear your harness-2011-09-039514.41.45.jpg

Please wear your harness-img_20110926_154734-1.jpg

Please wear your harness-2012-06-06-09.25.39.jpg

Please wear your harness-2012-06-06-09.24.39.jpg
Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate that it happened. Am glad you survived relatively OK. I am a fanatic when it comes to the use of a fall restraint. Here are 3 personal reasons why.

About 20 years ago, my brother fell from a 12' tall ladder stand. Broke his neck. Was in a "halo" for months. Doc's said that he came within a few millimmters of totally severing his spine, which would have left him paralyzed from the shoulders down. He recovered but was left with significant nerve damage and returned to only about 25% of his strength in his upper body despite 3 solid years of intense resistance rehab. One of my best friends, Jon U., fell backwards out of a climber while he was trying to push a dead limb in the clear. Hooked both feet in the frame of the climber inorder to keep from tumbling out. Hung upside down for over half an hour and despite being in fine condition could never pull himself back into the stand .... left leg was broken above the ankle (double compound) and holding only by the strength of the skin tendons. His right ankle was totally dislocated. Knowing that he was about to pass out, he decided to try to free himself and drop the 15 feet or so into some underbrush. He was able to swing free hit on his side. He passed out. Came to aobut an hour later and crawled to his ATV , and used his cell phone to call for help. A co-worker of mine fell almost 40' (yep, he was up that high) out of big pine tree. He and I had worked together for over a decade. He was found dead by his No.1 hunting buddy, at the base of the tree. All indication was that he was attempting top readjust the angle of his his climber seat and fell. Left a widow and 3 young kids.

These and your accident are a clear indication of how important proper use of a full body restraint system can be. As the designs have improved these past several years, they have become much more user friendly to put on, less bulky, quieter, and can be had for $100 or less. The "fancy" ones do not cost a whole lot more. Not much $$$ when you consider the possibles. And in my book, there are zero reasons for not using one .... only excuses!

OK I am off the soap box now.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hunterguy & Mtex,
Boy hunterguy it is a shame you became an instant expert. I have just started hunting archery at the tender age of 65 and falling from a tree is not on my bucket list!
If you have any insite about what stuff to use in a tree stand (vest and "lowering device") please share.
Thank you,
daddus
Or anyone!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all let me say how sorry I am about your accident. It could have been any of us. But thank you for sharing your experience. If it makes one person reconsider before climbing without a harness, your story will be worth it. Prayers for your continued recovery.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Daddus1 - Take a look at the website of any of the major "mail order" hunting and fishing gear suppliers - Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn., Sportsman Guide, etc. There are several of the fall restraint systems that you can buy. Priced from about $50 to about $150. All work well. "Seat of the Pants" and "Hunter Safety Systems" (HSS) are the two that I am most familiar with. I use an HSS vest type. All will have written instructions. Some come with a "how to use" DVD.

And now every maker of tree stands .... ladder, climber or hang-on ... of which I am aware (Summit, Gorilla, Strong Built, API, Lone Wolf, etc.) includes a fall restraint wit their gear. Some are better than others. Some are a "puzzle" as to how to properly put them on. And many are made for Mr. Average. Little guys and big guys are mopre or less out of luck with one of these generic sized harnesses.

One thing I strongly suggest that you do not do is use a "waist" or "chest" type "safety" harness. I am not even sure you can buy these any longer. The problem is that if you were to fall, these supoort your entire body weight by holding on to you above your waist and this can restrict the diaphram's ability to expand ... and you'll suffocate in only a hand full of minutes unless you can relieve the pressure "quickly".
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Even with a harness there are two times you won't be secure. Going in/up or coming out/down.

Being safe will get us home most of the time. Still, even the best of preparation can be for nought. The gentleman that taught me the importance of using a safety harness was decades ahead of most hunters. He fell either going into his stand, or coming out. He never said before he passed away. A more safety conscious hunter I have never met.

Stay calm, stay safe, and don't rush when getting into or out of your stand. Hunting is inherently dangerous. We all have to do the best we can so we make it back to prepare for the next trip out.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
Even with a harness there are two times you won't be secure. Going in/up or coming out/down.

Being safe will get us home most of the time. Still, even the best of preparation can be for nought. The gentleman that taught me the importance of using a safety harness was decades ahead of most hunters. He fell either going into his stand, or coming out. He never said before he passed away. A more safety conscious hunter I have never met.

Stay calm, stay safe, and don't rush when getting into or out of your stand. Hunting is inherently dangerous. We all have to do the best we can so we make it back to prepare for the next trip out.
There is a way to stay connected when ascending and descending and getting in and out of the stand. Go to this link and look at the product he sells. I'm not affiliated with him in any way and have never met him but IMO he offers a good product. If you don't want to buy from him, you can download instructions on how to make the ropes yourself.

www.safetreehunt.com

Another option is a climbing treestand if you hunt in an area that will accommodate one.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
There is a way to stay connected when ascending and descending and getting in and out of the stand. Go to this link and look at the product he sells. I'm not affiliated with him in any way and have never met him but IMO he offers a good product. If you don't want to buy from him, you can download instructions on how to make the ropes yourself.

www.safetreehunt.com

Another option is a climbing treestand if you hunt in an area that will accommodate one.
This is great post for people to see that don't wear one . Always wear one even in a climber . I had one slip down the tree banging me up good. Didn't fall out but it's a possibility . I have heard of it.
They also break once in a while.
Had a stand I was on feel loose and when I got on the sticks to try and tighten it snaped on tightening . Was wearing my harness but gave me a reality check as well . Hunting from a stand can be dangerous. Ruined my hunt that day but was able to hunt another day being safe.
ALWAYS wear a harness
Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury

Hunterguy77, sorry to hear about your accident. We each are either a victim ourselves or know someone who is. Some with better endings than others.
Sfury, Your wrong. In my training classes we were introduced to a prassic knot by our repelling instructor. I am a firm believer in this knot for it saved my rear end 2 years ago. I fell from about 10 feet and this knot stopped me just like it was intended to do.
I teach my hunter education/safety class this knot and I buy the rope at Rural King or Bucheits that is of 1500-2500lb class, about 5/8ths to 3/4" inch in diameter and show then how to use this knot. I am secured from the time my feet leave the ground and return. I use a Gorilla safety harness from Wal-Mart. I took the original buckle off the back and replaced it with a steel caribeener buckle about 5 inches long.
I then place a sinch down rope in my back pack of a loop diameter
of around 6 feet. I then place this around the tree trunk upon reaching my stand before unhooking from my assend knot and pass it through the double knotted end, making my loop to hook my buckle onto upon passing from my assend rope to my tie in rope. Only being unhooked for 2/10ths of a second.
This leaves me the original length of the safety harness strap and not changing its strength integerity.

Last edited by SecondChance; 06-24-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sfury - In know of no way to be attached 100% of the time, vut one can come very close ! The only time I am not secure 100% of the time is the very first time I set up a ladder stand or the ladder I use to reach a "lock-on". I do not use screw-in steps.

When setting up a ladeer or l;ock-on, I set a safety line ASAP and then attach my harness lanyard to this rope with a self clinching knot (as mentioned by SecondChance). As for using a climber ... as soon as I step onto the stand's "foot platform", I wrap my harness lanyard around the tree and it does not come off until am back down again. May cost me 2-3 minutes setting up and coming dback own but I certainly don't mind !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.