Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rituals or Traditions?

Old 09-03-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Rituals or Traditions?

Do any of you have a specific ritual or tradition you do every day during hunting season just before you head out, or just after you harvest your animal? I once knew a guy who medetated for 45 minutes in his stand.

Personally, I dont pray a lot in my spare time, but I always find myself saying alittle prayer before I go out, and I always manage to thank God after I harvest an animal. The only tradition I can think of besides always being in the woods at 4:30, is we always head to IHOP right after we harvest an animal, morning or night, blood covered or not... You should see some of the looks we get coming in camo clad, faces covered with mud and sweat... Blood caked under our finger nails... Thats one thing I look forward to every year...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 PM

Default RE: Rituals or Traditions?

Yep Wash, EVERY morning as I walk in to my stand in the dark silence, I go down on one knee and say a prayer to The Creator for EVERYTHING he has given me and then ask for a safe, enjoyable and successful hunt for myself and all the others in our group.

And yep, I always send a " Thank you LORD" skyward when the game is on the ground!
RA
Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

The one ritual I have every year is to grill up some backstrap the night before opening day of bow, muzzleloader, and rifle season. I' ve been doing it for 6 years now and as long as I put a few in the freezer I always will.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:02 PM

One thing I always do before field dressing my deer.........I sprinkle a bit of tobacco over the animal and have a moment of silence to honor it' s spirit. Native American hunters did this, and that' s where I got it from. The Native Americans had/have a connection to the natural world that most of society has lost.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bring a fishing pole along.

I have found that if the deer think you are fishing and not hunting, they are more apt to come around.

I can often be found, miles from the nearest stream, waving my fly rod around as if I were fishing.

The deer come around to investigate what I' m doing, and then, while I have them distracted with my fishing pole I will discretely reach down and grab my rifle.

Next thing you know....BANG.

It' s important to know...This technique only works a few times every year, as the deer start getting " wise" to your antics after only a short time...It' s best to spread this method of hunting over a wide territory so that word does not " get around" when the deer get together at night...If you know what I mean...
Old 09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reach over, tap the old lady on the back, whisper Love or Dove? her reply is normally " don' t forget your gun"
Old 09-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hah that is what I use to hear lee[8D]! Now I don' t even bother.

Crazy as it seems my ritual/tradition for hunting is PBJ' s. Well their is also the week camp ritual where as my grandfather called it " aiming fluid" and small snort of scotch and off to bed. (although I usually toss mine over my shoulder and say SMOOOTHHH!)
Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i pray as i before i leave the truck and i' m praying all the way in..i get scared ...but i do it... i pray alot in my stand....almost the whole time i' m out there i talk to God, it' s a time to to have alone time with my maker i guess without interruptions, well on occassion i s nice but to think , rejoice, just forget about all your worries....i thank God immediately after the harvest and i thnak the animal and say my God bless ........
Old 09-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

After I get in to the woods I say a quick prayer. There is something about crossing that threashold alone in the dark and quiet that makes me feel close to him.

I say something to thank him for the day that is about to begin, for giving me the ability to appreciate this opportunity to be so close to nature, and I ask that I have a safe huntand that if there is to be no harvest for me today that he uses the experience to teach me something.

So far I' ve just been learning, but one of these days will be my day.