Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda? >

Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

Old 09-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

I ' ve seen many people comment they wash their hunting clothes in baking soda. Tell me how much and how long, cold or hot water, by hand or in the washing machine? Is there any other product you' ve found to be really good?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 12:27 AM

Default RE: Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

I' ve used Sportwash for a few years, but it' s really hard to tell if it makes a diiference or not. I believe the most important things I do is hang my hunting clothes out on the line when there are a few fairly dry, breezy days, and then I keep them sealed up in plastic bags with a good amount of cedar/spruce boughs. Baking soda is something I' ve never tried........I' m always game for new techniques though!

I usually shower with scent eliminating products before I head out also, but some of them seem to have an odor of their own I have noticed. I am probably wasting money half the time, but I like to do all I can to gain an edge.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Baking soda works just fine for removing odor from garments , and any residue left behind will help to absorb your scent while wearing them later . Wash the clothing in unscented detergent , then rinse in a tub of water with baking soda in it , 1/2 to 1 full box . Line dry the clothes before storing .
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

I use H.S. Scents " Scent-a-way wash for all of my clothes including socks and UW and then place them in a trashbag with a couple of fresh earth scent waffers and I' m good to go. I change into my clothes when I get to the woods so I don' t get any odor from my truck on me.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:35 AM

20 mule team borax works excellent and it won' t fade your close, it has a water softener in it and when you add a scent free detergent it is awesome.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:57 AM

I use baking soda then I let my clothes hang on the line for atleast one good rain, leave them there until there dry. Then put them in a tote or a bag with what ever type of growth is in the area you are hunting. I use pine branches and even throw some apple leaves in with mine. You can also use baking soda as body soap it neutralizes your sweat. It is a cheap way to hunt without paying out the arse for the same result.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arm & Hammer make a Laundry detergent that use baking soda & has no scents or brightners added. Although recently I haven' t found it easily!!! If not available I use ivory pure same but no baking soda, then hand wash with some baking soda in a wash tub. I always use an extra rinse cycle and hang to dry outside. As others stated I seal my gear with field materials until I get to the field(I use a large rubbermaid container).
Old 09-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

FOR MANY YEARS I USED BAKING SODA TO WASH ALL MY CAMO CLOTHING, IT WORKS, AND ITS CHEAP, BUT IT WILL FADE YOUR CAMO. SO NOW I USE SCENT-A-WAY LAUNDRY DETERGENT MADE BY " H.S. SCENTS" ITS HAS CAMO GUARD IN IT. AFTER WASHING, HANG DRY OUTSIDE ON CLOTHES LINE, ONCE DRIED, SPRAY WITH A SCENT ELIMINATOR ON CLOTHES, AND IN LARGE PLASTIC BAG, PUT CLOTHES IN BAG, GET THE AIR OUT OF THE BAG, TIE THE BAG, YOUR DONE.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:11 PM

Cop I' ve used baking soda for well over 15 years and never noticed that it actually causes fading. Washing them without turning them inside out and line drying them while not turned inside out is what causes fabrics to fade. I usually use Scent Shields Hunters Bodyguard Clothes Wash for detergent but baking soda works great when its nothing else is available.

Another good point was brought up in here that is cheap, easy and effective. Usually around the middle of Oct (here in west TN, you might have to start earlier up north) I take everything that I cant normally wash very much like my Quad Parka/and insulated bibs, my GoreTex fleece suit, orange vest, wool sweaters, insulated caps/hats/tobaggans, wool gloves and anyother outerwear that would be hard to wash or doesnt need it after each trip, I watch the weather channel and if a steady night or two of rain is called for I lay them out in the rain (inside out again for best cleaning and to keep the camoside from the elements). Usually will take 1-2 days of steady sunshine (just like the typical bluebird days that follow a rain front) to dry them and then you are good to go without having to worry about someone messing them up at the laundry place or worry about scent contamination. If you dont have (or cant have) a laundry line, steel mesh patio furniture outback works great and allows easier drying than on a wooden table/chair. I routinely hang these same items outside thru-out the season for a good " airdrying" as well.

Carrying another set of clothes to wear before and after each hunt is ALWAYS a good idea and something I usualy do each time I hunt, especially during early bowseason or unusually warm gun hunts like we had the year before last. Hang your hunting clothes on a tree for that couple of hours you leave to go eat lunch, nap or whatever. It keeps your scent down that much more and makes it easier to keep the clothes clean as well (contant wash/dry is murder on clothes of any sort). If I didnt sweat alot during a particular outing, I might wear a shirt 2 days and pants for longer. Thats ONLY if I did the " airdry while out of the woods for a couple of hours" deal each day. Otherwise they get washed and new ones get used each day of the hunt. I NEVER re-use insulated underwear as that is were the largest amount of scent is contained.

Good luck,
RA

ps
Always use cold and ONLY use dryers if they are dryer safe material (and thats only when you cant or dont have the time to line dry them for a day or so). I also will hang xxxx on a coathanger and place them under a ceiling fan in an empty room (not over your smelly carcass as you sleep!) and that typically dries the article over a nights period. If you really want to dry something quick, make sure they are similar weight (when dry) and hang them on opposite blades of the fan and set the fan on the lowest speed. It will look hilarious to have a pair of pants flying around across from a shirt (looks like you caught a camo' d ghost in your ceiling fan) but this will usually dry the outfit by the time you are ready to go in the morning.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.