Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda? >

Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Washing your Camo before season? Baking Soda?

I use Baking Soda when I wash my clothes in the washer. I just send them through a regular cycle but put baking soda in instead of detergent. Then I hang them up on the line for a good couple weeks. Then right before the hunt I put them in a large sealed rubbermaid container with Fresh dirt wafers. Aftert the morning hunt I usually hang them up until the evening hunt if it is not raining. If it is raining or wet out I will put them back in the rubbermaid container. When I get out of the truck before going hunting I be sure that I spray myself down really good with scent away spray.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I like the ATSKO products myself. I' ve tried many of the others but Sport Wash(both laundry and hair and body soap),N-O-DOR spray, as well as the N-O-DOR II powder have served me well for years.Any of you guys using the household " free" detergents beware, I' ve read the ingredients labels on the back and most do indeed contain whiteners and brighteners(UV dyes). I don' t know how they get away with it but they do [:' (]. Buyer beware.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all comments and suggestions! I' ll be washing everything the next few days and drying them outside.

Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also use about 1/2 of a box of baking soda, Then I line dry my clothes and store them in an air tight container with some pine bark or pine needles. It has worked well for me.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I like sport wash the best. It hasnt faded my clothes much and its only 4 dollars a botttle that will last all season.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:20 AM

i tryed many sport washs but not one worked then i tryed a new one called scent killer autumn formula cost alot but works great
Old 09-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I am familiar with the baking soda alternative, I prefer the commercial made hunting laundry detergents like Sportswash and (I think it is HS Scents) laundry crystals. The clothes are deodorized and clean to boot. Considering how much I wash my hunting clothes during the season this route can get expensive but I think it is worth it.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baking soda works just fine for removing odor from garments , and any residue left behind will help to absorb your scent while wearing them later.
This may be true but you must remember that Baking Soda is designed to absorb odors. Leaving residue on hunting garments, to me, is asking for trouble. The Baking Soda will absorb most other odors, some very undersirable when it comes to hunting. I would never take that chance...For that reason, I always completely rinse my hunting clothes afrer washing them with Baking Soda...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gather a gallon of acorns or a few cedar branches (depending on where I' m hunting), boil them for 5 minutes, then add the boiled water to the washer. You smell like an oak or a cedar afterwards! Try it, it works well if you have those trees in your area.