Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How young to handle 20 gauge slug recoil? >

How young to handle 20 gauge slug recoil?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How young to handle 20 gauge slug recoil?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How young to handle 20 gauge slug recoil?

How old was your kid when they could first take the kick from a 20g slug gun?

My daughter is 9, and will be joining me deer hunting as soon as she can pass the saftey test and handle a deer-legal weapon. It may be a few years yet.

I live in IL where we cannot use rifles for deer, and want to get her a 20 gauge slug gun because I think she will be able to handle that earlier than pulling a 40# bow, which is the legal minimum draw weight limit for deer here.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, I'm talking about a rifled bore with sabot slugs, but not necessarily the fastest, hardest kicking ones. The sabot accuracy is phenomenal compared to smooth bore/rifled slug stuff, and I want to give her the best tool for the job.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The earlier that you get her out shooting, the earlier she will become used to the recoil and how to manage it.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Spike

I can't remember it clearly.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start her out on low brass stuff and gradually work her up to the heavier loads. You will find out pretty quick what she can handle, but the fit of the gun and having good hearing protection will be big keys in how things go.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with kids is that is more a matter of "courage" than age. Some kids are simply less gun shy than others. Having said that the No.1 mistake that I have seen made introducing kids to recoil is the poor fit of the rifle or shot gun.

A 20 ga. kicks pretty good when you compare it to some of the more popular center fire "deer rifles". So, first thing I would do is fit the shotgun to the kid. Which is a tough call right now because a 9 year old is likely to hit growth ppurts, and be 2" taller in 12-18 months down ther road!!!

Try this. Look at an H&R Untra Slug "Compact". This is a rifled barrel single shot that comes in 20 ga. and will not break the bank. It is more or less a "youth size" ... which means that the "Length of Pull" will be about 13" from the factory. Probably too long for here now. Order a spare stock and put it aside. Take the kid to a gunmith and have one of the stocks fitted to her now. If need be, you can have "shims" added later as she grows. By the time she in in her teens, she'll probably be ready for the full size stock.

This H&R does not have sights, but I think comes with a scope mounting rail already attached. I could be wrong. Put the best scope on it that you can justify right now ... a compact size in something like a 2-7x32 mm or 40 mm would seem to me to be the ticket. If she gets into hunting, then I'd suggest to upgrade to a very good scope and she'll have a 0-150 yards deer killing set-up good for years to come.

Good luck and hope she gets a big one !
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad bought me a 12ga Mossberg bolt action when I was 12. He never told me recoil was a problem. I thought it was going to be as fun to shoot as my 22lr. It was. I was a skinny arse kid but had no problem with a 12 ga. I was taught how to hold it properly and what to expect but never led to belive I couldn't handle it. To me, recoil was just a part of having fun and hunting.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you decide to get for a gun, as stated above, fit is important. I would also recommend a quality recoil pad. There are some youth models out there that come with spacers to be added as the shooter grows.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the advice.
I agree that having the gun fit her properly and be balanced so that it isn't so muzzle heavy is of great importance, and also that working up from softer guns/loads is the way to start out.

Colorado, we are very much on the same page with regard to how important it can be to present things with the proper "can do" attitude, without focusing on the potentially unpleasant price of shooting fun.

Mojo, you aren't kidding when you talk about how fast they grow at this age! I've had her try the fit of some short-stocked shotguns, and she is already too big for the Mossberg 510 Mini. More than one gun store salesman has echoed your words that she'll fit a full sized stock in a few years.

She is almost big enough for the Mossy 500 Bantam now, but they don't offer the raised cheekpiece in the Bantam-sized stock, that is necessary to kee a good cheekweld and still see through the scope on a cantelevered mount.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by Bulzeye
How old was your kid when they could first take the kick from a 20g slug gun?

My daughter is 9, and will be joining me deer hunting as soon as she can pass the saftey test and handle a deer-legal weapon. It may be a few years yet.

I live in IL where we cannot use rifles for deer, and want to get her a 20 gauge slug gun because I think she will be able to handle that earlier than pulling a 40# bow, which is the legal minimum draw weight limit for deer here.
I'm an adult but I'm the same size as a ten-year old, four foot seven and 74 pounds. I buy my clothes in the childrens section.

I have no problem shooting a 20 ga. We had the stock cut down a little for me so it would fit. I can feel the recoil but it doesn't hurt.

A couple of things to consider. A heavier gun has less recoil. I have no problem with an 8mm. Mauser. I can feel it but it doesn't hurt.

Don't minimize the negative effects of recoil. She may decide she doesn't like hunting but not feel comfortable telling you it's the recoil, because you don't just shoot when you hunt. When she practices, she will be shooting the same gun over and over. If her shoulder hurts too much, she's not going to like it.

I wish I could have started when I was her age. I wasn't exposed to hunting and shooting until I was 16 and met my husband. I love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.