Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This years acorn crop?

Old 09-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default This years acorn crop?

After a four year stint in NC, I' m back in Georgia and ready to hunt. I' m wondering what kind of acorn crop ya' ll think we' re going to have this year, especially white oak acorns. Just as important, when do you think they will start to fall. I' m trying to plan a vacation, and i' m going to either miss the muzzleloader opener or the rifle opener. I' d like to hunt the muzzleloader opener in my favorite old stand, but can' t really hunt it unless their are acorns on the ground.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This years acorn crop?

The mast crop here in North Ga. is bad. There are a few trees with Acorns but they are few. I found a tree Sunday with one Acorn on the ground below it and could not see any others in the tree itself. The Dogwoods are also in terrible condition. On the positive side, Black Walnut, Persimmon,Autumn Olive,Hickory and Pecan all seem to have excellent crops this fall and if you want a Bear, the Poke Berries are just now getting ripe.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

You will probably need to take a good pair of binoculars or a non-mounted scope out and look at the treed to get an idea. I don' t think the crop is as good as last year, but some trees do have ample acorns.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

GaHunter19 ,
take some vanilla with you if the acorns aren' t coming in well , a 50-50 blend of vanilla and water smells like white oak acorns to a deer . I' ve heard that those vanilla scent air fresheners like you hang in the car work well too , but I can' t confirm from personal experience .