Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Club/Lease Question

Old 08-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Club/Lease Question

In a conversation with a good friend of mine who just happens to be the president of our 4 member hunting club, he accidentally slipped and admitted that he has not paid to hunt in our club for the last 3 year. Instead he is charging the other three members (myself included) enough to pay the entire lease. Now, after several days thinking about this I just don' t think this is fair so I' m looking for some opinions from you guys. Is it a common practice for the president of a club to hunt for free?

We all work at the lease putting up posters, making repairs, and anything else that needs to be done. The only thing he does above and beyond the rest of us is make sure the land owners are paid with the money that we give him. I would like to hear your suggestions because I' m seriously considering informing the other members of this situation.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Club/Lease Question

i am not in a lease or hunt club but the president not paying his share that aint right . maybe it would be alright if the president was someone else every year but this guy is a freeloader
Old 08-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

At our club we all pay our share and do our share
of the chores,etc.thats what its all about work
together,share in it all!![]
Old 08-31-2003, 07:57 PM

My Brother and I currently run 3 hunting clubs. After all the bills and leases are paid every year we usually end up paying much more than normal dues. I don' t believe in giving anybody a free ride. On the flip side , managing a hunting club can be a huge headache at times, and it is a year round job. We were in a club one year that offered to let the president hunt without paying a fee, but he turned it down. But that' s the price you pay to be the boss. If you can' t handle every thing that goes with the job and pay to hunt, let someone else do it.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-31-2003, 08:19 PM

Tough one

A four man lease should not be that hard to be President for and thus I would think he would pay the same as everyone else.

Dishonesty is something you do not want in a lease.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:03 PM

If he is doing most of the work. Maybe a reduced price is okay.
I have been running a club for 15 members for 8 years. It can be
a pain. 2 out of the 8, at the end of the year we have left over money
and I took my money back. I have tried to get somebody else to run it.
Nobody will take the job, I tried to get somebody else to run it!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. Like I said in my original post, the only thing the president does over any of the other members is deliver the lease money to the landowners. There are 3 different landowners but they all live within a 5 minute drive from the club. Matter of fact, I went with him this spring to deliver the money. Hardest part of it was getting away as 2 of the landowners are the sweetest elderly ladies you' ve ever met and boy do they love to talk. We even worked at one of their houses for about an hour cleaning up limbs out of her yard from an earlier storm which I didn' t mind a bit. I' m going to give it a little more thought over the next couple of days and might get with the other members later this week.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:40 AM

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless your current president is owner of the land, close kin to the owners etc, I would consider having a new vote and new president. Can' t be that big of a hassle to keep that small of a club running. He needs to pay an equal share.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:31 PM

If the lease is in his name then he can do what he wants.Which is charge you guys enough to pay his dues.If you raise hell he can just kick you and your buddies out,it' s his lease.Now if it is a true club that is incorporated and the lease is in the clubs name that would be different.I do not think he should get a free ride.Our 8 member club has a president and treasurer.We all pay the same.

CB

Quick Reply: Club/Lease Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.