Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken? >

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Old 08-31-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have taken with your bow or rifle? I have talked to several hunters and I have heard of some long distant shots of over 500 yards, what is your thought on this? What is a good distance and what is too far?

Dr. Mike
Old 08-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

my farthest? who knows.....40 yards maybe....and thats with a 3006 or a 308....the only things ive taken deer with!..its all on the shooter on how far is to far....if my bullet still ahs 1000ft/lbs of energy and i can shoot good that far i will take the shot if the conditions are good....400yds with a 40 mph cross wind isnt exzactly a good shot! most calibers and guns will outshoot the shooter unless your a good shot....
Old 08-31-2003, 01:38 PM

The first deer I ever shot at was a doe 265 yards away. I was young and inexperienced, as well as very excited. The bullet hit too far back, wounding the deer. We tracked it through the deep snow until we had to turn back because it was getting dark. I had to leave the next day, so we contacted a warden to track down the doe and put her out of her misery. I was sick with dissapointment and guilt at causing the animal to suffer. I decided that from then on, unless I was certain of the shot I would not take it.

Since then I have taken many deer and all were shot at distances between 5 and 30 yards. Getting up close adds an extra degree of excitement as well as making it easier to make a clean shot.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

357 yards up hill both ways.....
Old 08-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

38-40 yds with a bow and 110 yds with a shotgun and rem.copper solid. The one shot with the bow ran about 60-75 yds down hill and the one shot with the slug dropped on the spot. (All distances verified with a rangefinder)
Old 09-01-2003, 04:32 AM

Around 150 yds.; from one side of a wooded valley to the other side. One doe down!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shot a doe several years ago at about 400 yards. Good brace, plenty of time etc. Under similar conditions I wouldn' be hesitant to shoot at that range again with my .270.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing that I have noticed since using a laser rangefinder on a regular basis is how much shorter actual distances are than estimates.Even pacing out distances usually results in longer than actual distances with the error being much worse over hilly terrain or snow.As a result I only give shot distances that have been verified with a laser rangefinder.The distances don' t sound as impressive but they are accurate.My longest kill on a big game animal that was verified with a laser rangefinder was 480 yards on a pronghorn with a 434yard kill on a whitetail ranking second.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting for many a year and the longest shot I took and successfully tagged my deer was less than 60 yds. That was during M/L season in NH 2 yrs ago. Most every deer I have killed was 20-35 yds away while hunting the woods in Maine and NH. The places I hunt are usually very thick (swamps) which limits the distance you see deer.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

With a bow, the farthest I' ve taken a deer is 25 yards(self imposed limit).

With my .270, I harvested a 6 pointer at 351 yards. Shot him right through the heart and he dropped in his tracks.

Shotgun, about 80 yards.

Quick Reply: Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.