Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What'd I find?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default What'd I find?

So, I was out for a walk in the deer woods and I came across this pile of bones. This is on public land, and this was about fifty yards off the parking area in an open field. It would have been an easy dump out of a truck. It stunk like NONE OTHER. So I didn't get too close to see what they were. Judging from the pictures probably coons, opossums and such like. It appears that some of the skulls are broken. So what did I find here? Is this a dump spot for a local trapper? The other thing I considered was possibly the road dept. dumping the roadkill? But I've only ever seen that in specified dumps. Never just out in the open. Is this something I should report or not? Open to all thoughts!!
Beware of the pictures, they even smell bad... at least when I look at them they do.
-Jake

Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Spike

i would dont think that they should be dumping that close to a parking lot and on public land like you said they should take it to a designated spot
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
JW
Super Moderator

By all means report it. I think you found where someone killed and dumped a bunch of dogs.

Let us know the outcome

JW
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of the skulls were dog (coyote?) skulls for sure. I'll call in the AM.
-Jake
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Road kill dump?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

Not road kill. Way too many dead animals there to be a road kill dump site. Besides that, no civil entity would just dump animals like that.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sfury
Not road kill. Way too many dead animals there to be a road kill dump site. Besides that, no civil entity would just dump animals like that.
Apparently you've never seen a roadkill dump site. They dump truck loads of roadkill in some places. But you are correct that they wouldn't dump animals out in the middle of public ground like that. I've only ever seen them dump at specific dump sites.
I tried calling our local GW but couldn't get in touch with him, so I emailed his office with all of the info and pictures. I'll let ya'll know if I hear anything back.
-Jake
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Spike

That's a dump site from somebody who traps most likely. Prolly not a good spot to dump the carcasses but nothing illegal.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

in an open field?
wonder if its carcass dumps for coyote hunting?
shouldnt be so close to parking lot, but thats where the field is
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Spike

My guess is you there are remains of coyotes, coon, opossum, etc. Once there skinned the rest is discarded and you’re looking at a ‘discard’ site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.