Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC >

Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC

Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC

Waiting on the mount to come back in about 2 more months.

Killed in november 11pt buck not offically scored but around 150

Wilkes County NC
Attached Thumbnails Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC-new-image.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Spike

Where in Wilkes do you hunt. I hunt right on the Wilkes/Watauga border just off 421. Good looking mountain deer.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a very nice buck . Hope this season even better for you .
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

nice buck!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Spike

I hunt along the brushy mountains. I also killed an 8 in the exact same spot. I will post a pic of it later when I am at work. Android won't let me post it.

I am starting a small food plot this year and I am going to experiment with sweetpotatoes and more traditiinal items as well. I know there are two other big bucks but they went nocturnal early in the season. I will post better pics.of.the mount later.b/c the pic doesn't do.it justice its rack.is much thicker than it looks.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck! Congrats to you and welcome to the forum..
Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 AM
Spike

here is a pic of the 8pt buck
Attached Thumbnails Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC-8-pointer.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Spike

Nice buck. I'm new to these forums, but was curuiouse about getting some advice for the up comming season. I'm a new bow hunter, and am looking for tips on how to start the pr season scouting for whitetail. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Very Nice Deer Congrats!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by camokid29
Nice buck. I'm new to these forums, but was curuiouse about getting some advice for the up comming season. I'm a new bow hunter, and am looking for tips on how to start the pr season scouting for whitetail. Any information would be appreciated.
I have hunted hard my whole life and the two biggest deer were pure dumb luck.

The Saturday of the 11pt buck I had meant to get in the stand early which was about 250 yards from my house in a heavily wooded area. I woke up at about 6:45 and decided it was too late so I put on my pj pants and made coffee and sat around the house thinking about what time I would get in the woods that evening.

Then the coffee does its job and I head to the bathroom at the back of the house and look through the woods and see a small doe with the 11pt buck trailing her. The doe cuts straight through my back yard within about 20 yrds of my house. I run and grab my muzzleloader and sneak out the front door and make my way around the side of the house and popped him right at the wood line in the spine and dropped dead (good thing he weighed about 200lbs).

I need to mention at this point that it was about 30 degrees and I had just shot the largest deer of my life so far in my pjs barefoot while not even getting into the stand that I spent countless hours on setting up.

The second buck 8pt came out on a Friday afternoon. It was unseasonably warm about 55-60. I had the back door open and I was folding clothes about an hour before dark and my 7lb toy poodle hunting dog (lol) started to growl. I had been out that morning and no luck at all, but she saw him heading up through the woods. I decided that I would step outside and watch him. Took my .270 and sat in a lawn chair in a short sleeve shirt drinking a beer with no attempt to conceal myself from his view. He never looked at me walking about 20 yards from my house.

I decided that I would take 2 more sips and if he didn’t run I would stand up and shoot. 2 sips, didn’t run, stood up, flipped open caps on scope, didn’t run, flipped off safety, didn’t run, crosshairs on deer shot, and went 10 feet or so and dropped dead. He was a big bodied deer weighing about 185lbs.

Like I said I have hunted hard my whole life and the largest deer I have shot was a six. When I wasn’t trying I lucked up on to trophy deer. Pisses of lots of people.

My advice is plan and scout but always be ready for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.