Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC >

Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late to the game 11pt buck Wilkes County NC

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Spike

Nice deer. I love how dumb luck works out.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

nice bucks.

to each their own, but in my opinion, that isnt hunting, its shooting.

dont take this the wrong way because you obviously love the sport, since you mentioned spending hours setting up stands and what not. But for me, most of the experience isnt the actual act of shooting the animal. its the experience of being in the wilderness, watching the animals, and tracking them to get a shot. Im at the point now that i am just as happy coming home empty handed as long as the time in the field was a positive one.

Had that been my house, i would have enjoyed just having deer to observe in the back yard. No sense in shooting a deer in my back yard, as there is no real sport in it.

again, to each their own. congrats on the deer as they are trophies to you and thats all that matters.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Spike

Thanks. And I respect and understand your opinion.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes being a little lazy seems to work, I've shot three pope and young bucks, all three have been because i was too lazy to go to the original stand i wanted to and opted for a shorter walk to a closer stand.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on 2 Very nice Bucks....thats some pretty serious on the hoof weight for those Deer too!Some times we work like a Dog to get a Deer and other times we get lucky and they come right to Us! I'll take a nice Buck any way I can get them...some I have worked long and hard for while others have been just a matter of being in the right place and the right time. LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Congratulations on 2 Very nice Bucks....thats some pretty serious on the hoof weight for those Deer too!Some times we work like a Dog to get a Deer and other times we get lucky and they come right to Us! I'll take a nice Buck any way I can get them...some I have worked long and hard for while others have been just a matter of being in the right place and the right time. LOL
They were larger than the typical deer for this area. They had been well fed by my foodplot and corn. Not to mention there were 6 or more white oaks that had a bumper crop of acorns in this area.

just curious here but i was told by a few local hunters if your clear out around the oak trees and fertilize that you can have a bumper crop of acorns every year. I thought they would have one good crop every couple of years. is there any truth to this.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Spike

congrats, good looking buck
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

JC75754....I talked with a fellow Hunting Partner of mine thats from Louisiana and He also mentioned taking some fertilizer around certain Acorn Tree's and trying to boost up the quanity/quality of the acorns from said tree....it wouldn't hurt to try it out as long as You don't over do it and burn up the tree?

Another thing would be to thin out the other existing tree's that are close to the Acorn Tree robbing it of nurishment?

What about salt and mineral licks...You use them much in Your area...?I have a recipe for a Salt Lick that will really draw the Deer in just about year round if your interested in it?.....Free
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
JC75754....I talked with a fellow Hunting Partner of mine thats from Louisiana and He also mentioned taking some fertilizer around certain Acorn Tree's and trying to boost up the quanity/quality of the acorns from said tree....it wouldn't hurt to try it out as long as You don't over do it and burn up the tree?

Another thing would be to thin out the other existing tree's that are close to the Acorn Tree robbing it of nurishment?

What about salt and mineral licks...You use them much in Your area...?I have a recipe for a Salt Lick that will really draw the Deer in just about year round if your interested in it?.....Free
I usually buy a mineral lick. But i would be really interested in creating my own. Send me the recipe and i will try it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.