Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting update

Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting update

I'm updating for post I made earlier in December about a man getting shot whir deer hunting.
Just got this e-mail about up coming regs

Federated News
Sorry for the short notice, but news came to the Federated late on this issue. Apparently, due to the findings in the tragic shooting of Donald Mallette, where they found he was hit with one pellet of bock shot from 70-90 yards away, DEM Enforcement has made the recommendation to prohibit hunters from using buck shot this upcoming shotgun season. The Federated has chosen to stay neutral on this situation due to the fact that there was not enough time to get the information out to our member clubs and get the information back on what position to take in this regard. However, since these issues will be discussed at the hearings, we have been asked to go and voice our opinions, whether for or against.
Again, if you would like to voice your opinions, there are 2 meetings for this:
3/27/12 at Tiverton Rod & Gun, 7pm
3/29/12 at The Foundary Building, Providence, 7pm

Seem they want to ban buck shot, while I am not a fan of buck shot I don't think it should be banned. If that is your choice of load so be it.
What do you think ?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much info in the post or in the official info I could locate on the web.

Is this sort of accident is a trend up that way or a essentially a "one off" event? Of so, banning buck-shot would address only a trend.

If, however, he was killed as the result of a random "flyer" pellet or a pellet that glanced off of something, hitting Mr. Mallette who was positioned way off the intended direction of fire, then maybe there is a point ?

Last edited by Mojotex; 03-26-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to the original post
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whit...home-town.html
Old 03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe this video will clear things up
http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2011/d...ods-ar-877117/
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

We dog hunted for years and buckshot was the only legal method. We were extremely lucky that somebody didn't get killed. Almost everybody had buckshot thru the trees nearby at some time. One guy shot at a buck, forgot that his teenage son was in the way, and a buckshot pellet went thru the kid's cap bill. Although I killed a pile of deer with buckshot, I couldn't remommend them.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Spike

Buckshot has its place.