Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail deer acting goofy

Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Default Whitetail deer acting goofy

Can anyone explain this deer springtime behavior?
Last night - just before dark, I saw a fast movement back toward the woods at the edge of a brushy field. It was a small herd of Deer and as best I could tell, they would all suddenly take off running at full speed in one direction and pretty soon - they would all come walking slowly back, with the larger deer curving their tails sharply over their backs and the smaller deer walking along with them. They would then start dashing around in short spurts - (it looked sort of like they were playing - but I was a long ways away, and it was getting pretty dark, so it was hard to tell exactly what they were doing) - after milling around like that for a few minutes - they would all suddenly take off at full speed in the other direction - just like a danger flight. Then pretty soon - here they would all come walking back, doing the same - tail over the back - slow walking thing. This was still going on after dark - the same goofy tearing around. It was a blast watching them do that - my wife and I really enjoyed the show till it got too dark to see, but neither of us had ever seen them act like that before and we were wondering if anyone else had ever seen that and could tell us what was going on?
Thank you in advance,
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably just frollicking around or maybe there was a coyote(s) in the area that was making them antsy!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

You need to quit mixing coffee grounds with the mineral you put out.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

We did think maybe they were just feeling frisky, being as the snow is finally gone and we have had a few warmish days - some sort of celebration of spring? We feel a little that way ourselves - but can't run that fast any more.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Probably just playing around. Or maybe there was something out there they were unsure of. Deer play, especially the young ones. They're also very curious. Sound like a fun thing to watch
-Jake
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Just playing. I see it here all the time especially on warm spring days. If youhave been having some rain, it feels good to them to run in the squishy ground.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scribe
Just playing. I see it here all the time especially on warm spring days. If youhave been having some rain, it feels good to them to run in the squishy ground.
That might have been it - it had rained pretty hard all morning and was also one of the first warm springlike days.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Spike

I bet one of those deer was blowing. Deer get spooked easily and if they don't distinguish the threat they will come back to near the original spot out of curiosity.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

They are feeling great and having fun, like a bunch of kids on a sugar rush. They are finally receiving a burst of energy from the more nutritious food that is suddenly available, preferred greens which they have not received in months.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Might be alittle early, but snakes perhaps. ive seen deer do that in a field with a few snakes around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.