Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Update on the 357 magnum for deer. >

Update on the 357 magnum for deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Update on the 357 magnum for deer.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You're forgiven, LOL!
10-4!!!!
I understand as we get more "experienced," we like to up the "challenge" of hunting by taking up different methods of hunting.
That said, many younger or less experienced hunters read what is said here, lets not inadvertently set them up for failure.
As I said, I understand new challenges, marginal killing equipment is just not a "challenge," it's irresponsible! Its also disrespectful to our fine sport and the great animals that we hunt!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive watched both these posts and just shook my head.Many of you seem to think you need a cannon to kill a 100lb deer.Truth is almost all the guns mentioned in these posts will kill a deer if your not a complete moron.Know what you and your gun are capable of and stick to those limitations.A lot of you seem to confuse long range shooting and hunting as the same thing.Pretty simple really, if you can hit a target at 300 yrds and you have enough gun to kill cleanly at that range take the shot.If your guns only good to 100 yrds or your a marginal shooter get in closer before you shoot.

Funny thing is most of the people i meet that complain about a certain caliber of gun either A- cant shoot it well, or B- dont know how to track after they shoot.Then the deer is lost or wounded and the gun gets blamed.

To the OP, a 12 gauge is plenty of gun for deer, and with the barrels and slugs available today with a lotta practice and trying different bullets theres no reason they cant take deer well past 100 yrds and leave a very large hole in the process.Get in closer, dont worry about trying to be a sniper and kill stuff a half mile away, its more fun anyway than shooting deer from the next county.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Truth is almost all the guns mentioned in these posts will kill a deer if your not a complete moron"

I hope your "almost all" is meant to exclude the 22LR!

"Funny thing is most of the people i meet that complain about a certain caliber of gun either A- cant shoot it well, or B- dont know how to track after they shoot.Then the deer is lost or wounded and the gun gets blamed."

I've heard that before and IMHO don't think it really applies in this situation. Normally when I hear that statement it's when guys talk about going to big magnums when a good old 06 will more than od the job. Not so in the case of a 22LR and big game! Of over 100 big game animals I've shot in my life I've never lost one and can only remember a couple that even went 50 yards, so I guess just maybe I'm doing something right! Stay with the proper gun for the game and stay within your capabilities to lessen the chances of losing one is exactly what you mentioned and I couldn't agree with that more!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope your "almost all" is meant to exclude the 22LR!
You hoped wrong.I understand what you are saying, its not an ideal deer rifle and isnt one that should be ethically used if not neccasary..

But that wasnt the question the question was will it kill deer.The plain and simple fact is yes, it has probably killed just as many if not more deer through history as any other gun out there.And there were times through history where it was a neccessity to kill deer with whatever you happened to own {someone mentioned the great depression, it was a good example}.

You arguments based in ethics, not facts.Fact is it will kill, and has has killed thousands of deer and will continue to do so legally where allowed and illegaly where its not.If I were stranded in the middle of nowhere and only had a .22 i certainly wouldnt hesitate to take a close up shot at a deer and the possibility of not recovering it would not cross my mind because i know the round will do the job.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

"it has probably killed just as many if not more deer through history as any other gun out there. You arguments based in ethics, not facts."

Helloooo out there!!! What in the world have you been smoking to make silly statements like that about the 22LR, LOL!

"If I were stranded in the middle of nowhere and only had a .22 i certainly wouldnt hesitate to take a close up shot at a deer and the possibility of not recovering it would not cross my mind because i know the round will do the job. "

I think I already covered that in my statement about emergency situations and don't disagree.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Helloooo out there!!! What in the world have you been smoking to make silly statements like that about the 22LR, LOL!
You are quite out of touch with reality if you think otherwise, the 22 has been around much longer than many of the popular guns on the market now and it wasnt really all that long ago when hunting was a free for all without a lot of regulations and enforcement.You used to hut with what you owned, there wasnt money for a different gun for every critter you hunted and in many cases it was the .22 because it was able to kill anything from rabbitts to deer size game.Perhaps you need to remember everything wasnt always what it is now and even today theres thousands of deer poached with this rifle every year across the country and its still a legal caliber in some states.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You sure seem to know a lot about poaching with a 22!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You sure seem to know a lot about poaching with a 22!!!

Youve shown your ignorance through this whole thread and whenever someone makes a valid point you cant disprove you gotta resort to accusations and smart ass comments.Must suck not to be able to defend your position with any actual facts.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You haven't come up with one valid point yet for me to even have to worry about disproving it and you're calling me ignorant, LOL! Case in point is this statement in your 7:24PM post: "even today theres thousands of deer poached with this rifle every year across the country" How in haydes can you consider that a fact unless you personally know of all of them? That's just one of a number of things in your posts that are conjecture, not fact! Incidentally, the quote of mine in your last post wasn't an accusation, but if you think it was a smartass comment you are now getting closer to a fact, LOL! Here's an idea. Why don't you tell us all how or why you know so much about poaching to make all these comments you consider facts! I'm waiting, but not holding my breath.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is a 22 Mag too much gun for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.