HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best deer attractant year round? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/358991-best-deer-attractant-year-round.html)

Hunt or Die 02-22-2012 12:50 PM

Best deer attractant year round?

I was wondering what you guys use for deer atracttant year round. Obviously food plots are the best but for gathering photo and just to make the deer stop by cameras, what do you guys use?

pluckit 02-22-2012 02:20 PM

Get yourself some DEER CANE. I like the kind that comes in a block. Then get yourself a bag of Solar Salt Pellets. The kind you put in a water softener. Put the Deer Cane block close to a well traveled, yet somewhat secluded, deer route and spread the solar salt all around the DEER CANE block. Deer will tear the DEER CANE up in the spring when the fawns are developing in the does womb and the bucks will tear it up for the minerals to grow their antlers. And deer love the salt all year round. They will actually eat the salt pellets. Just give the DEER CANE block some time to start to dissolve in the rain and leach into the ground and the deer will start eating the soil. If you want it to work a little quicker you might use the powder and then switch to the block later. The block lasts longer. Here is an old video of a lick I used to have set up. This link will lead you to my You Tube page where you can check out all the salt and mineral lick videos I got with a trail camera using those two ingredients for an attractant, if you want to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSOL_...eature=channel
Good Luck! I think you will like it.

henson59 02-22-2012 02:49 PM

yellow acorns work the best.

c-rad 02-22-2012 02:52 PM

corn/oats/molasses mix.

Valentine 02-22-2012 03:20 PM

It's going to make a lot of sense

for two million hunters to use the best deer attractant on the market, that money can buy, just to attract one of the 1,000 so-called trophies, roaming the forests and byways of America.

hossdaniels 02-23-2012 08:14 AM

Year round has to be corn.

For spring and summer, mineral sites are a lot cheaper than a bag of corn every week.

Mojotex 02-23-2012 10:41 AM

Food is best year round attractant, obviously ... use food plots. Clover, soy beans and Wild Game Sorghum.

Don't use this as an attractant as such, but do have lots of trail cam shots of deer visiting mineral licks that I have created: Granulated white salt (100% NaCl), Di-Calcium Phosphate and a high calcium mineral supplement such as for dairy cattle. Mix it about 2-1-1. Works great and provides at least some much needed minerals for the critters.

jerseyhunter 02-24-2012 02:00 PM

Go rake up some acorns when they drop and screet out the leaves,it's free. Plus no one else will know your huntingthere, unlike corn or apples. Store left overs in potatoe sacks till needed.

GTOHunter 02-26-2012 06:40 AM

We do the Food Plots year round,they will keep the Deer in Your areas and hold them there because they know they have a good food source at all times.We also put out salt blocks,mineral licks and one of the best attractants I have used is the Arm & Hammer salt licks.

You take a box of the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda,break up the ground in a 3' X 3' circle breaking the dirt up fine with a shovel,pour about 1/2 the A & H onto the dirt mixing it up then take about 15-20 lbs of rock salt and spread it over the dirt then take the rest of the A & H and spread it over the salt...after time the rain will wash it into the ground and the Deer will hit it year round.You can refresh it every 3 or 4 months and even add a little mineral to it if allowed in Your State?I like putting some Lucky Buck in mine because it has a good amount of different mineral to help the Bucks with Antler Growth.