Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Am I still allowed to deer hunt this coming year? >

Am I still allowed to deer hunt this coming year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I still allowed to deer hunt this coming year?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Valentine,

You better stay at home. No WAY someone could get a deer hunting like that!!!
-Jake
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

How come you don't like fun?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

V , all I have is the PU truck. Guess that makes me an advanced hunter.

I eat harvested venison each year.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no doubt that during the past 50+ years since I started hunting, gear has come a long way. I have definitely taken advantage of some of this stuff. And have wasted too many $$$ to mention on stuff that either was not up to the hype or just not for me. I do use a modern bolt action rifle, high end scopes and binos. I do use the high tech themal wear and boots, and outer clothing. I have an ATV to get me around on the 3000 acres that I hunt. I use store bought ladder stands, hang-ons, and climbing stand. I use a GPS to help me get around, and 2-Way radios and cell phone for safety's sake. After surgery failed to correct a blown out bicep, I went to a Cross Bow. So, I guess I am no longer a woodsman ???
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
There's no doubt that during the past 50+ years since I started hunting, gear has come a long way. I have definitely taken advantage of some of this stuff. And have wasted too many $$$ to mention on stuff that either was not up to the hype or just not for me. I do use a modern bolt action rifle, high end scopes and binos. I do use the high tech themal wear and boots, and outer clothing. I have an ATV to get me around on the 3000 acres that I hunt. I use store bought ladder stands, hang-ons, and climbing stand. I use a GPS to help me get around, and 2-Way radios and cell phone for safety's sake. After surgery failed to correct a blown out bicep, I went to a Cross Bow. So, I guess I am no longer a woodsman ???
X2. I guess radios to make sure my father makes it to his stand alright make me less of a woodsman too. Plus I use a rangefinder when I hunt new stands, makes a shot a lot more ethical in my mind. I never want to see an animal suffer more than it should, if I can purchase something to help that, I'll gladly do it. If you shoot a deer with all those gadgets or not using any at all, I'll give you my congratulations just the same.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

I am too old to care what people use. The war between stickbows and compounds went on for years (I always used a stickbow) and when crossbows hit the seen guys asked me what I thought of that. Heck, I thought it was funny. The compound guys running around all nuts because a crossbow does not look like a bow. LMAO I doubt it really matters what you use, it is where you use it. All that junk won't matter if you hunt where there are no deer.

I was in a parking lot in Maryland getting ready to go bowhunting and this other hunter was giving me a lesson on deer hunting. It was years ago and what deer eat was just starting to hit T.V. shows. He was telling me that deer love white oak acorns and he wished he could find some. I was looking around at all the white oak trees and thinking that this guy was the village idiot. All the new junk and T.V. shows didn't help him a bit.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Well heck. I don't have any snowshoes. Course, I don't have any snow, either. My Savage 99 is a .308 and my scope is somewhat up the line from Tasco. It is a Nikon. I don't have a GPS or even a cell phone. Due to my age and health, I use ladder stands. Mostly I shoot a bow and I buy my arrows rather than make them, same for the broadheads. I have a truck, no ATV and I hunt does more than bucks. I quit hunting mature bucks about five years ago. I got tired of tanning the capes by chewing on them using deer brains.

I do my own butchering-always have and don't care to eat any meat from a commercially processed deer. Feel the same way about beef.

I'll hunt next year and prolly turkey hunt this year even though it isn't much of a challenge. I'm just tired of them crapping on my truck and patio.

I wonder if I should have put this in a letter instead of on-line? Am I getting too modern?Take a look out in the backyard.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Spike

Wish I could quote dollar amount that just deer hunting revenues generate and have utmost respect for the better than average woodsman that are part of our hunting community being able to successfully enjoy deer season without all the latest fads and technology. Just wanted to remind everyone that we are a force to be reckoned with because we spend a lot of tax dollars to hunt that in turn are used to further the game we hunt. Will quit now with this: Our ways and methods may vary but we all share the heart of a hunter in common.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is pretty commical when You think of the gear and gimmicks out there for Us to use,still Hunting comes down to learning about the Game You hunt,when and where they move and reading the "Signs" Deer make,the better You are at that the better Your chances are in getting a Deer....and some times it just comes down to plain Luck and being at the right place at the right time.

I'm just as guilty about having a lot of different gear that could probably be fine if left back home,but there are some things that make Life easier,simple and fun to use.I still like getting out and just watching the Wildlife and the thrill of seeing Deer in their natural settings,I've taken them out of nice comfortable ladder stands and while laying on the ground after waking up from a nice nap in the warm sun.