Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters, what do you recommend having in your fanny pack?

Old 08-21-2003, 08:11 PM

Default Hunters, what do you recommend having in your fanny pack?

Hunters, what gear do you recommend having in your fanny pack for the novice hunter. Do you carry any survival gear, food, other items that you think should be carryed, what about GPS, and other items, let me know..thanks.

Dr. Mike
Old 08-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunters, what do you recommend having in your fanny pack?

depends on how long im hunting....sometimes i take nothing but a knife rope and bullets...but if im going to be hunting long and back in the woods a good ways ill take a knife for gutting....my leatherman wave...it will do anything..fix my gun...clean game if i loose or break my other knife...cut down small limbs and saplings..help me survive if i have too...rope to drag....and it will be nice if i have to build a shelter because im just that lost......extra ammo.....matches and a lighter...something to eat and alot of water.....a compass if im going into a place i dont know...but rarely do i hunt a place i dont know..i usually scout it first and thats when i use the compass....i think thats about all i carry.....and with what i have i know i can spend the night in the woods easily.....and even though i will never use 10 rounds of ammo in one hunting trip i started to carry atleast 10....if im in a survival situation it will come in handy.....as you can tell im into the whole survival thing....i rather be safe then sorry.....and when im hunting i am very comfortable...i dress appropriatly and eat and drink when i want...i try not to make much noiseand i will beable to sit there longer and see more game instead of leaving the woods....your pack should fit your style...when i am not hunting all day just for a morning or just for an after school hunt or something i wont take food and not so much water....
Old 08-21-2003, 08:52 PM

No one answer can be given for this subject. Every hunting trip for different people is going to be just as different as where they hunt. I hunt my own land. I don' t use a fanny pack, just pockets. A knife, snack, TP in a sandwich bag, wrist watch. My gun, ammo, sometimes my binoculars. Don' t even carry water, sometimes a diet cola. I' m usually full of coffee before I leave the house. 3 spaced shots and my wife has the neighborhood looking for me. I carry a .35 Whelen and it has a sound like no other rifle near my area. But for someone hunting big timber (maybe I should say forest), a whole different story.
Russ
Old 08-21-2003, 09:09 PM

i will carry with me my 16' ' inch bowie. extra ammo or arrows.compass,matches,rope,toilet paper,energy bars,water,walkie talkies,small skinning knife,more rope, flashlights,survival kit,fishing line, small axe,saw thats about it. if i get in a survival situtation i won' t to be prepared to survive.where i hunt it is the big woods you got to go deep to find the big boys. you have to have the right tools to get the job done.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a knife,small rope,small waterproof match holder with water proof matches and striking material in it, extra shells always during rifle season.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i carry:

towline
latex gloves
hand warmers
leatherman (lifesaver!!!)
lockblade knife for skinning
binoculars
rain gear (sometimes)
minimag
folding gerber saw
GPS
cover scent
no scent spray
grunt tube (always even in february)
rattlin' bag
sunglasses
Old 08-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt close to home ,for sometimes 10 hours, Lots of food and water. I found pizza,stromboli, and italian sandwichs are good for a 10 hour sit. A knife and a tractor to drag it up the road.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything I can carry!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder why a man of your caliber would ask such a question as this outdoor338? Enlighten me, Bobby
Old 08-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are the items I carry 97% of the time.

1) Rope
2) knife
3) stone
4) hunting gloves
5) couple plastic bags
6) several extra bullets
7) butt wipe [:-]
8) water proof matches plus a liter
9) space blanket
10) whistle
11) mirror
12) hand rattler
13) deer & elk bag
14) jerky and a couple candy bars (paydays) [:-]

Quick Reply: Hunters, what do you recommend having in your fanny pack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.